Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Building hives from scratch!  (Read 10375 times)

Offline afton

• New Bee
Building hives from scratch!
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:12:58 am »
I am a total newbie at bee keeping but I am very excited and dedicated to the task.
I was given 12 hives, but my mentor recommended them being burned (since then i have learned of scorching). I am needing to use 3/4'' wood for the building but I am having problem finding it. I dont think I can use any plywood because of the lifespan and the impact of the glue on the bees. I have been reading the "Bees and Bee Keeping" by Eva Crane, it reccomends many types of wood including cedar ($$!!).

Has anyone ever built their own? Any advice?
Thank you
E
For the love of Bees!

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: Building hives from scratch!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 04:53:48 am »
any 1x lumber is 3/4 thick. If you would like to use all medium depth boxes for your bees, they can be built out of 1x8 white board/pine from Lowes or Home Depot. I recommend you read some of the sections in Michael Bush's website before getting any equipment, he has great discussions on what you should be thinking about before buying any equipment.

http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 04:57:25 am »
here is the specific page on MB's website with discussion on new beekeeper decissions to make before buying equipment or bees.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnewbees.htm

Enjoy the new hobby, it's the most rewarding hobby I've ever had myself, and hope it is for you as well.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:05:27 am »
I buy local rough cut pine to make all my equipment.  If you have to buy lumber from a Lowe's or Home Depot, chances are you can buy pre-made equipment cheaper.

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/building-honey-supers/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:18:34 am »
Keep in Mind  if you use cedar,  It needs to be western red cedar (which is a bit like pine)  not the Closet type red cedar....  White pine works the best,   If your in the south  cypress is great as its weatherproof.

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 10:31:48 am »
Is there an impact on bees from plywood glue?  I use popular plywood for its durability and low cost.  But it is heavy-warning.  I can make 10 supers from a $48 sheet.  I have not seen a super anywhere for $4.80 + shipping.  Plus I like wood working. 

I've seen some studies from housing since plywood is used in the floor and the glues become inert after their chemical bonding.  Thus they release nothing into the house.  Think of the lawsuits if they did release something into the house!!!

I'm more worried about the pollen and nectar my bees collect from the neighbor who sprays everything with pesticides.  Do you know where your bees are hanging out?  Mine won't tell me!!
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 12:08:36 pm »
Them there bees go everywhere....!   I dount think the plywood glue is going to be an issue at all....  its not a closed box.. lots of air for outgassing... I aked this question a month ago and the only compliant was weight.   I would myself look for a cheaper plywood,  sound like your buying finished 7 ply   5 ply ac  is around 22 a sheet.    Pesticides can be an issue,  no doubt..   most will tell you to cover your hive with a wet sheet when the area is being sprayed and keep them home for a day afterwards....  other than that  your at the mercy.......  I live in farm country and lots of spraying goes on,  but so far have not seen an issue.  My neighbors  are nice and don't spray near my hives,  but other than that  its up to the bees.

Offline afton

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 05:38:12 pm »
hello!
So iv done some more looking around and reading and have found an excellent means to keeping bees within the city, (which is what I am working on with the city at the moment) using a top bar style of hive. Im very excited. Checkout  the §¤«£¿æ to see more!
For the love of Bees!

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 08:11:50 am »
That's a great book and relatively cheap if you choose to download it.  If I can find the time in the next couple of weeks I'll be knocking one of those together to see how well that approach works in this area and as a demonstration hive (built in windows).

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 10:51:01 am »
 The local lumber yard sells pine 1x8 at under $6 for an 8 footer. That's a box and a 1/4.
  Shop around and look at the seconds pile.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 01:13:46 pm »
Of the 10 hive boxes my FIL and I have, one was "Store Bought". We've made all the others as well as the supers, frames, bottoms and tops. The Store bought hive looks to be 5/4 lumber as opposed to 4/4 or "One By", but 1x12 or 1x8, or one by anything will work. The only issue we've had is the thinner pine will warp a bit unless it's kerfed on the inside or cut for interlocking corner joints.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 01:07:47 am »
hello!
So iv done some more looking around and reading and have found an excellent means to keeping bees within the city, (which is what I am working on with the city at the moment) using a top bar style of hive. Im very excited. Checkout  the §¤«£¿æ to see more!

That's what my husband and I built (only I think it was off the backyardhive.com site). Our woods had been logged years back, a family member planed it for us, and so the cost of the hive was just hardware and plexiglass for observation windows. Nearly free!

It has been a blast learning bees with the topbars. Good luck and have fun!

luvin honey
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson