Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are you thinking of getting Saskatraz queens?  (Read 14160 times)

Offline Anonimo22

• House Bee
Re: Are you thinking of getting Saskatraz queens?
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2019, 01:00:08 am »
I've heard good things about Saskatraz from people. So its strange to see this.

I wonder if maybe it was just a fluke or that particular supplier? I just mean I wonder what went wrong?

There are videos on youtube of lots of Saskatraz coveting too and maybe that's why they are so popular right now. They are supposed to have some Russian genes in them I think. And maybe that's where the defensiveness is coming from.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2019, 03:15:18 pm »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2019, 05:10:38 pm »
Good video HP.

Genetics of honey bees is compounded by the fact the queens breeds with so many drones.

An example of what can go wrong:  a queen breeds with 10 drones and one of the ten drones has genetics for mean or defensive behavior.  Thus the queen produces a hive of 20,000 bees and out of that 20,000, there are 2,000 bees that are mean as conceived by one undesirable drone.

However, the entire hive gets labeled as defensive or mean.

Genetics of multiple drones can also work in our favor.  What if one of the drones codes for hygienic, mite riddance behavior.  Walla!!!

Genetics works in all directions, but can be skewed in favor of productive bees as shown in the video.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2019, 11:31:15 pm »
Update:
I did an extensive hive inspection today, making my pre-winter assessment. This time I used hardly any smoke and the bees seemed to appreciate it. Or maybe I'm getting better at ignoring them as they fly around my veil.

Like I said in an earlier post, my technique could be part of my issues. I have not gotten stung in my last several visits.
Tom

Offline Clcotner

• New Bee
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2019, 03:25:16 am »
I have 2 hives of Saskatraz from Oliverez.  I have two other hives of local mutts.   The Saskatraz are much more docile than my other bees.    I don't usually have to smoke them when I work around the hives.

anything