Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Second Swarm after Two Days!  (Read 2894 times)

Offline IterMee

• New Bee
Second Swarm after Two Days!
« on: May 09, 2017, 09:03:39 pm »
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and to beekeeping. I caught my first swarm on Sunday (two days ago 5/7/2017). Please see pic below:

Now a new swarm has showed up on the same tree (very close to the branch of the previous). Please see pic below:

Now I haven't confirmed that the first swarm had the queen though I believe I got her. I was going to check this weekend. Is it possible that the second swarm is a whole new hive?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Second Swarm after Two Days!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 10:36:21 pm »
Yes, it is. It is likely a secondary swarm with a virgin queen from the same hive the primary swarm came from. Hive it separately and give her 2 weeks or a bit more to start laying. The first swarm should have eggs the first week.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:11:22 pm »
Welcome.  :happy:
Nice looking swarms.  I caught three from the same tree this year within two weeks of each other.  It happens more often than people think.

Offline IterMee

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 11:27:54 pm »
Thanks so much for the info! I will put the second swarm in a separate box (hopefully will spot a queen soon).

I was thinking it may have been the same hive but for some reason these guys were left behind without the queen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 08:23:20 am »
It almost looks like there are two swarms in that first picture.  Look to see if the population decreased by half in the first swarm you caught.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline IterMee

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 09:45:25 am »
I haven't noticed a decrease in the hive's population. Will definitely keep an eye on that now that you've pointed that out. Thanks!

Offline TxKronik

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 09:54:51 am »
Awesome 2 free hives

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 12:52:24 pm »
Welcome. 
Nice looking swarms.
Look at the bottom of the swarm. Notice how rounded it looks. That is a good indicator of a queen. If there was no queen, they tend to hang down to a point. If they are really long, they may also be pointed as the bees are too far from the queen to detect her.

I received a call on my way home from work on Monday about a swarm. I call my wife to let her know I would be going right back out the door when I got home.
Her first words were, can I go.  :happy: I didn't even get a chance to ask her. Yea.
On the way there, I received an email saying sorry, there was another one 10' up on the roof.  :happy:
Hived them both.

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline IterMee

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 04:19:59 pm »
 :beemaster: You guys have been extremely helpful. Every reply I learn something new.

Just installed the second swarm this morning.

Keeping fingers crossed  :cool: