Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Slatted Racks. Do you use them?  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Dora

• New Bee
Slatted Racks. Do you use them?
« on: December 21, 2023, 02:22:49 am »
I searched the fora for "Slatted racks" and saw nothing much recent. So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with them.

This article sounds like it might be a great idea for temperature control:
https://www.honeybeesuite.com/slatted-racks-everything-you-need-to-know/#h-is-this-a-new-invention Makes a lot of sense to me.

They're form $25 to nearly $30 to buy, but I suspect the material wouldn't cost nearly as much. Haven't priced it out, though. Really need to keep my hubby busy tinkering. 😉 The more time he invests in the bees, the more cooperative he's likely😊
Starting beekeeping again in Texas Hill Country.
Aiming for natural beekeeping with
anti-biotic and chemical-free bees.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Slatted Racks. Do you use them?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 07:13:38 am »
At one time I had one for every hive.  I got more hives and converted to eight frame from ten frame so none of them fit anymore.  They do help some, but not enough that I ever replaced them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 11:42:28 am »
I'm a Honey Bee Suite groupie basically :happy: , so I bought slatted racks for my first 2 or 3 years of beekeeping, since my climate is very similar to Rusty's.  Once I had enough hives that I felt comfortable experimenting a little more, I set up a couple of hives without them to compare.  I've noticed very little difference between hives that have them and hives that don't.  I do use the ones I own, but like Michael, I haven't seen the need to invest in more.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 03:10:00 pm »
They do look intreresting.

Offline Dora

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 08:51:10 pm »
Thanks much for sharing, Michael and "15"

Considering that the racks are relatively expensive and seem to make little difference, I won't plan on them for spring. 2024

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 01:10:13 am »
I am a bee haver and not a bee keeper but I love the slatted rack.  I started with out them when I first began and did a couple hives side by side.  I was dumb then and so all I noticed was less bearding but built all my own stuff and so have had them on every since.  This means I have very little experience with out them.  Since I knew from the beginning that I was only going to be a hobby bee keeper and was not going to just keep expanding I figure why not.  If I had to buy them, I would not use them cause I am cheap and know many keep bees with out them.  How handy are you?
Cheers

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 08:33:36 am »
I never investigated slanted racks. I watched several videos before becoming a beekeeper and never seen them in use, so I never considered them. Like gww, I built my own equipment. 

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Dora

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 11:28:46 am »
Hm... GWW, if you observed "less bearding" that corroborates an advantage mentioned at https://www.honeybeesuite.com/slatted-racks-everything-you-need-to-know/#h-is-this-a-new-invention It would seem to mean that it gives the bees an "air conditioning" advantage, and that is important in our part of Texas where we had highs of over 100F consistently for months last summer.

Thank you for sharing that!

My hubby has built and will build our own equipment. So the racks are considerably more affordable for us than if we had to buy them.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 01:01:49 pm »
In you other thread question.  I use solid bottom.

anything