Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar shaking -- stuck in my head  (Read 13980 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Sugar shaking -- stuck in my head
« on: May 09, 2007, 10:28:55 am »
Sometimes when I get information, it gets stuck in my head and I mull things for days until I can feel comfortable that my thoughts can be complete.  This sugar shaking method seems like such an excellent method for varroa mite control when one does NOT WANT to use chemicals in their hives, or during a time when chemicals cannot be used in their hives. 

There has been notation that sugar shaking kills larvae.  I am not so sure that this is true now.  I have been re-reading parts of a book written by a retired Professor of Simon Fraser University (Mark Winston -- the Biology of the Bee) and some research about the times that larvae are fed and visited by bees may indicate that the larvae would undoubtedly be kept clean and moist.  I will be retyping a part of a chapter that may be of some interest to many, I know it held me spellbound, and you will be astounded at how the house bees look after their babies.

This comes from a chapter regarding brood tending:

A single larva is tended by many nurse bees, and larvae are visited and inspected much more frequently than they are fed.  Lindauer (1952) observed that an average larva was inspected 1926 times for a total of 72 minutes, but only fed during 143 visits.  The time per feeding visit averaged 1.3 minutes for a total of 110 minute feeding time per larva, or slightly under 2% of its larval life.  Other studies (Lineburg, 1924; Kuwabara, 1947) have shown higher values of up to 7200 visits or a maximum of 1140 feeding visits per larva, possibly because the amount of inspection and feeding may vary according to the ratio of larvae to nurse bees.  When the ratios of brood to nurse bees have been calculated, results show that a single nurse bee rears the equivalent of two or three larvae during its nursing life.

So, it really sounds like the larvae would be inspected for anything within the colony that may inhibit proper growth and development.  They certainly are inspected by many many caring nurse bees.  Have a wonderful day, great life, great health, our sun is shinin'.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Re: Sugar shaking -- stuck in my head
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 10:32:41 am »
Fascinating for sure, thanks fo sharing...I am amazed at the amount of informaton there is about bees, yet there is always so much more to learn!

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 10:49:49 am »
Excellent article Cindi. Now let's look at it from a the opposite point. Even if sugar shaking does kill some larvae. That wouldn't be catstrophic. The capped brood is protected. And normally in any hive the bees pull bad larvae and pupae for any number of reasons. The queen would lay in the cells again once they were clean. So even if it did which your article suggests it doesn't I don't think sugar shaking would hurt the hive.

And then there are those that treat by taking drone frames from the hive and then freezing them and then returning them. Which definitly kills varroa and drone larvae. However it doesn't do much about varroa that are in worker cells. I still like sugar shakes, but I haven't had to do one in a while with my permacomb and small cell setups.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 11:15:27 am »
I will be doing my first sugar shake this weekend. Hope it works to reduce some phoretic mite numbers. An article I read suggested this method might hurt a few eggs, not larvae. The numbers of eggs hurt are far fewer than the mites would hurt.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline BarneyG

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 02:38:46 am »
Hi Cindi  was wondering if you have tried the sugar shaking ?  do you use power suger ?  thanks Barney
Barney

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 09:14:08 am »
Hi Cindi,

Just a couple of points that are not a bid deal,  but perhaps just pet peeves of mine. People like to use the terms chemical and non-chemical as bad/good terms when in reality everything you put on your hive is a chemical. If sugar isn't a chemical what is it?  And, to make discussions even harder,  it is also a pesticide by definition when used for sugar shakes.
I know exactly what your trying to convey about sugar being a relatively benign chemical compared to check-mite etc. I have no opinion of sugar shakes, and it perhaps is one of the mildest treatments,  but remember,  the sugar you are using is highly refined and commercially processed with who knows what kind of chemicals to make it snow white, non-clumping, etc etc....

As far as nurse bees inspecting and removing anything that would prohibit proper growth.   Might the damage already be done?  Could the powdered sugar act in ways similar to diamateous earth and cut them all up on contact?  I have no rationale for this,  just thinking out loud ;)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 01:19:45 pm »
Robo, I think that your comments are well worth listening to.  Of course sugar is a chemical, in its own right.  But....compare check-mite, (comouphous), and the like.  It is well known that these particular chemicals can be held in the wax, which is not good.  I do not profess to know everything, or not even a millionth close.  But, comouphous is bad.  That is all I can say, I know that it is.

I do not know what is done to powdered sugar to make it powdered, as far as chemicals goes.  But....ever left powdered sugar not in an airtight container.  It doesn't stay in that fluffy shape for long.

When I apply powdered sugar to the bees.  I process it myself.  I use my Bamix to make white sugar turn into powder.  I know that we feed white sugar to the bees, in the diluted liquid form, placed on top of the inner cover, made into candy.

I don't think that we can equate powdered sugar to diamateous  earth, or maybe one can.  But I don't think so.  This "earth" is very "strong" in its action and I don't think it would "cut" the bees up.  I don't think that powdered sugar even comes close.  I have to sit on the fence with these thoughts, because I am not an expert.

I see nothing wrong with using powdered sugar shakes.  In the springtime it will be part of my mite control plan, my mind has been made up.  It has been said that it is a very mild treatment, yes, it can cause harm to larvae (eggs?), but it certainly knocks down the mite population, and high mite populations are far more detrimental to hive health than the loss of some baby bees in the making.  I thought once that the death of larvae (eggs?) would be bad, but upon research into this, I know for surely that it is not the worse of the evils.

I don't know yet if my sugar treatments had any effect on mite control or not.  I will know this when I perform the 3 day sticky board test the first week of September.  Even then I won't know for surely if it helped or not.

What I should have done was measure the mite counts shortly after the sugar treatment tests, but as things go, plain and simply got too busy with the farm stuff.  Oh well.  Again, Rob, your comments were interesting, and yes, I think aloud too, it is a wonderful and good thing to do, we must always express what we feel or think.  Have a wonderful day, best of life, best of great health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 02:18:04 pm »
Robo, I think that your comments are well worth listening to.  Of course sugar is a chemical, in its own right.  But....compare check-mite, (comouphous), and the like.  It is well known that these particular chemicals can be held in the wax, which is not good.  I do not profess to know everything, or not even a millionth close.  But, comouphous is bad.  That is all I can say, I know that it is.
No disagreement from me, comouphous is really bad stufff, and I wouldn't consider using it ever again.

When I apply powdered sugar to the bees.  I process it myself.  I use my Bamix to make white sugar turn into powder.  I know that we feed white sugar to the bees, in the diluted liquid form, placed on top of the inner cover, made into candy.
Once again,  I don't disagree,  I feed sugar syrup too.

I don't think that we can equate powdered sugar to diamateous  earth, or maybe one can.  But I don't think so.  This "earth" is very "strong" in its action and I don't think it would "cut" the bees up.  I don't think that powdered sugar even comes close.  I have to sit on the fence with these thoughts, because I am not an expert.
I wasn't thinking of it cutting the bees,  but maybe damaging the eggs or small larvae enough that the bees see them as damaged and dispose of them.

I see nothing wrong with using powdered sugar shakes.  In the springtime it will be part of my mite control plan, my mind has been made up.  It has been said that it is a very mild treatment, yes, it can cause harm to larvae (eggs?), but it certainly knocks down the mite population, and high mite populations are far more detrimental to hive health than the loss of some baby bees in the making.  I thought once that the death of larvae (eggs?) would be bad, but upon research into this, I know for surely that it is not the worse of the evils.

I don't know yet if my sugar treatments had any effect on mite control or not.  I will know this when I perform the 3 day sticky board test the first week of September.  Even then I won't know for surely if it helped or not.
I have no problem with people choosing sugar shake as a treatment over the harsher stuff if they need to treat.  I have no experience with it,  it is too labor intensive and disruptive to the hive for me, but that is just a personal opinion.
plain and simply got too busy with the farm stuff. 
Boy do I know how that is :-D
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 09:09:07 pm »
Why don't you try small cell that is what nature does.
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 11:34:19 am »
Rob,  again, your comments are good and worth listening to.

Kirk-o.  I have thought about small cell.  It takes time to regress the bees, my understanding, a couple of years.  Personally, I can't be bothered, I am rather lazy in some regards and it seems plain and simply, like too much work.  Then.....what does one do with all the hundreds of "regular" sized frames that they have. 

My Asian bee course teacher (who runs about 1,200 hives commerically), who taught me the two levels of beekeeping (and other courses), when I asked about why he doesn't use the small cell, like many do for mite control, basically told me that there has not been enough research yet to show that it is good for mite control.  He runs on the standard size frames.  I don't have a doubt in my mind the small cell works for many beekeepers who use them for mite control, but I just don't think it is for me.  People's mind change, I am not saying that sometime down the road I may regress the bees, but at this point in my beekeeping, I'm sticking to standard.  I will use mite controls that I know are good, that being sugar shake, formic and oxalic acid.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.   :-D

Have a wonderful day, beautiful life, and love you're life that you're livin'.  Cindi

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 08:55:47 pm »
Dee Lusby has been running 900 hives or so for 20 years on small cell no treatment Michael Bush has been doing small cell also no treatment so that seems like a good study for me
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 06:52:20 pm »
Just some info. I had a bad infestation in both hives. Did the sugar dusting for 5 weeks straight. It was hard on me but the bees really did well. Now I feel they are under control. The mite count is only about 4 after 24 hours on my almost dying hive.

On my strong hive, the count has been around 15-20 after 24 hours. This was after counting about 50 a month ago.

It has worked for me. The bees seem to get back to normal pretty fast although I am sure it disrupts them.

I am also planning on freezing at least one drone frame. Hoping this will totally help to control the mite population

Annette

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 02:42:56 am »
You must see the daily mite count.  If you are willing to spend time.  Then insert the sticky boards for 72 hours 

Watch and look at this site:

http://www.mitegone.com/

Beautiful day, great life.  Cindi

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 02:48:51 am »
My packages from this and last year and hives that were on large cell and are in the middle of natural (I call it) digression I am using powdered sugar.  The ferals are doing great.  Hopefully all will be totally on natural cell building by year after next and then I will stop sugar and go to no treatment.  I will keep SBB and will be completely on upper entrance and periodic mite checks and see how the hives are doing with the different count levels.  

I've been offered to cost share in the various hard chemicals to save money, but have declined since I get sick after giving any of the dogs flea baths with the commercial flea shampoos.

So I've got that going for me :-P
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 02:39:32 pm »
Kirk-o.  Yes, it sounds like Dee Lusby and Michael Bush have had excellent results with small cell, no mites.  That is wonderful and good for them, good.

I cannot comment further, but I am happy for them, excellent.  But I am not sold on the small cell business and don't know if I ever will be, maybe, maybe not.  Have a wonderful day, love your life you're livin'.  Cindi

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 03:40:55 pm »
Cindi
Maybe it is worth a try?  I am very new and it is probably to my advantage to try from as close to the beginning as possible.  I am seriously considering getting some HSC so I don't have to go through the long regression.  I don't want to have to treat with chemicals. 

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 06:02:37 pm »
You must see the daily mite count.  If you are willing to spend time.  Then insert the sticky boards for 72 hours 

/quote]

Cindi

Michael Bush told me to insert sticky board and do a natural count after 24 hours (before dusting)
Then dust with powdered sugar and do another count after 1 hour, and another count after 24 hours.
This way you can see if the treatments are making a difference.
What do you think??? Seems there are many ways to do this.

Annette

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 11:23:57 am »
Annette.  I agree with Michael Bush statement.  He is referring to the counts when sugar dusting, to see how things go.  I believe that he is absoutely correct and this is an excellent plan.

My 72 hour prorated mite drop count was referring to basically the end of the season when one must ascertain whether they MUST (or do not have to) do a fall treatment, whether it be formic acid or alternative choices that they choose for mite control methods.  I will be applying formic acid if I see that mite counts warrant it.  And I don't doubt one little bit that I will require treatment.  It is imperative to me to enter the wintertime with the bees with as low mite counts as I possibly can achieve.

Around the beginning of December, when I know the colonies are in their "broodless" state, I will perform the oxalic acid sugar syrup trickle, to "get" any remaining mites that MAY be harbouring their lousy little lives on the bees.  That way, when springtime comes, their basically should be a zero mite level in the colonies.  The mites must have brood to propogate their eggs, that as they grow they suck and eat the very life out of the poor helpless brood. 

These are my choices for mite control, they are tested and work very efficiently.

Oxalic and formic acid are found in nature.  Man changes the intensity of these two acids, but they, in my own opinion, are excellent and safe.  Not to say that one must not be careful to protect themselves against the two strengths of these acids, by using caution and common sense when applying.  I hope that this clarifies things alittle for you, Annette.  Have this wonderful day, beautiful life, and great health wishes for all.  Cindi

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 04:36:07 pm »
You have that same mite counting from year to year, from day to day.
In Europe mite problem is solved. Use new methods. They help.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 04:44:43 pm »
Finsky
Any what are those methods in Europe?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 02:07:40 am »
Finsky, you are far too vague.  If you want people to listen and learn, you must elaborate further on things that you write about.  That means to talk more deeply about things so people understand better what you mean.  There are a lot of people that really value your advice, and you know that I am one for sure.  I have missed your mentoring on this forum, and I have no problem proclaiming this to anyone who listens and learns.  Become active again in this forum, teaching us, we are listening, learning.

Elaborate means two things:

1)  Deeper explanation
2)  Something that is very beautiful and expensive looking

I remember that one time in a post the word "elaborate" was mistaken for the wrong definition  :)

Great day, great life, great health.  Cindi

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 07:00:17 am »
If you want people to listen and learn,

If people do not to learn, it is same if angels tell it. I have told all what I know and wrtings are here.
First advice: STOP SHAKING AND CALCULATING. IT HAVE NOT HELPED, HAVEN'T IT? START KILLING.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 01:33:06 pm »
Finsky, what you say is good.  But....sometimes it is good to calculate the mite counts so the person can see if their mite counts are high or low.  I agree with killing the mites.  But....still knowing what one is dealing with is a good thing.  I do not agree with you there.  The end result is to kill the mites.  But human curiosity is basically why I see counting the mite levels is a good thing.

If there are no mites present in a colony (by using a sticky board and counting), it would be counterproductive to treat a hive.  There would be no reason to apply any mite control methods.  The likelihood of no mites is remote.  Except for, as Michael Bush and Dee Lusby say (and perhaps many more) who use the small cells say, they have no mites.

Also, Finsky, you must know this.  If the mite levels are EXTREMELY high, the 21 day formic acid treatment is not enough.  There must be more acid put into the hive so that the treatment is doubled in length.  If the mite levels are reasonable, then the 21 day treatment plan is sufficient.  But, do you know this?  It is in the Mitegone site and speaks about it.  Important.

I am of the  belief that the sugar shaking is positive.  There are times when formic acid (and definitely oxalic acid) must not be used in the colonies.  When the honey flow is occurring.  But for beekeepers that will not be selling their honey commercially (example would be for themselves) or (friends), the sugar shake I think is good.  It reduces the mite counts and cannot do any harm by reducing the numbers.  The small amount of powdered sugar that may taint honey so it is not 100% honey (that could be sold commercially), is not bad for the small time beekeeper.  I doubt if very much powdered sugar would get into the honey anyways....but.....

I still agree with you though, beekeepers must kill the mites.  Have a wonderful and a great life along with it.  Cindi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 01:38:17 pm »
Right, forgot.  There are many forum members that don't know you Finsky.  You have written some excellent posts and I encourage forum members to go into your profile and view the many many posts that you have written, they have some wonderful advice.  Along with your good posts, are also some others that had great posts too.  Have a wonderful day, love our life we're all livin'.  Cindi

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 07:06:39 pm »
I beleive Finsky uses oxalic acid between the frames with a syringe applicator. From what I have read it is very effective on the mites but not approved here in the good ole US.
(Finsky,I read what your writing. I don't grasp every bit of it but am trying to learn.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 01:37:55 am »
Ken, awe, come on.  I don't quite get this either.  Oxalic Acid is "approved in Canada."  But not in the USA.

We use here, OA, in a sugar syrup trickle, when the colony is broodless.  Great day, fabulous life.  Cindi

Offline davidb

• Brood
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 07:36:51 am »
There was a mention of permacomb and small cell setups in this string.

Sorry if this is old ground for some of you but could someone explain what 'permacomb and small cell setup' means and how this eliminates Varroa?

And if it does work why aren't all beekeepers doing it?

Regards, David.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 07:54:49 am »
>Sorry if this is old ground for some of you but could someone explain what 'permacomb

PermaComb is fully drawn plastic comb. 
http://www.beesource.com/bee-l/bulletinboard/seets/permacomb.htm

The cell size is about 5.1mm.  Standard foundation is 5.4mm.  I heat it, dip it in wax, shake off the excess and get perfectly accepted 4.95mm combs.

Honey Super Cell is 4.9mm.
http://www.honeysupercell.com/sblog/

> and small cell setup' means and how this eliminates Varroa?

Small cell foundation is available from Brushy Mt, Dadant and Betterbee, and probably others.  There are a lot of theories on why small cell works.  Most likely it is a combination of factors, but a simple measurable one is capping and post capping times.  Also small cell plastic frames are available from Mann Lake. They have large cell also, so if you want small cell you'll need to get the PF100 or PF120 (depending on the depth of your equipment).

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnaturalcell.htm

>And if it does work why aren't all beekeepers doing it?

I ask that every day.  But here are more than a thousand people who are doing it or talking about doing it here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Organicbeekeepers

And more information here:
http://www.beesource.com/pov/lusby/index.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 09:11:15 am »

Probably because it is not a simple fix as with applying chemicals.  It takes time, effort, and resources to regress.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 09:59:46 am »

Probably because it is not a simple fix as with applying chemicals.  It takes time, effort, and resources to regress.

Yes this is a very good point.  Time and effort.  Not many commercial operations are going to (or can) take the time and effort to regress.

I am trying instant regression with honey super cell.  I have it on one hive now.  I added a deep below the brood box and put a queen excluder below and above the HSC deep.  I put the queen in there with 1 frame of brood.  I am hoping for the best.  I rubbed beeswax on all the frames and sprayed them with my homemade honey bee healthy. 

anything