Welcome, Guest

Poll

what do you wear when you work with your bees?

full bee suit with gloves
11 (42.3%)
full bee suit no gloves
1 (3.8%)
street clothes, veil and gloves
4 (15.4%)
street clothes, veil but no gloves
6 (23.1%)
street clothes, no veil , no gloves
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: what do you wear when you work your bees?  (Read 5229 times)

Offline beefree

• House Bee
what do you wear when you work your bees?
« on: June 06, 2004, 04:37:28 pm »
it was hot today, and i was in a hurry, and so i didn't bother with the beesuit.    Just wore jeans and a long sleeved white tee shirt turned inside out so the black screenprint on it wouldn't show.  Did wear the helmet and veil and rose gloves.  Didn't bother lighting the smoker.  didn't get stung, and only one little honeybee even seemed annoyed at my continuing to screw with the frames.  maybe the beekeeper that told me he works in shorts, and a veil, no shirt even, isn't quite as crazy as i thought... was i just paranoid about getting stung?  are you all out there getting great tans while you play with your hives?
beefree
Those who are merciful to the cruel become callous to the meek.

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 05:02:28 pm »
since i am not immune to the stings anymore i use a suit ,veil and gloves.  used to just use a veil 'til i got that nasty hive.  that's one thing to keep in mind.  if they supercede your queen a gentle hive can go to a real PITB in a few weeks.  some hybrids are note for being nasty.

Offline Blackbird

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 07:52:27 pm »
What I wear depends on my mood and what I will be doing with the hive. It's been anything from just street clothes no veil to full suit and veil but I haven't worn gloves yet.
 I just got stung for the first time on my hand yesterday. That was after completely pulling every frame to treat for varroa with powdered sugar. The sting hurt like a you know what and I must admit my reaction was strong, I was not calm about getting stung!. I still don't plan on wearing gloves though, they're too awkward for me. I think the bees were just to their limit by the time I got to those last few frames and I probably should have smoked them once or twice during the operation.

Stacie

Offline Lechwe

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 09:30:22 pm »
I usually just wear a veil and street close without gloves unless I am taking honey then I will wear gloves.

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 10:00:59 pm »
I'll still wear a full suit with gloves when I completely pull frames, but just long sleeved street clothes with a veil and gloves when I'm "just looking."

Offline Archie

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 07:16:59 pm »
Hi beefree,

I usually do not use any protection when I work with my bees.  But, I always check the girls to see what kind of mood they are in.  There are times when they just want to be left alone.  I never go into the hives on rainy days or if it below 60 degrees.  I am just asking for trouble if I do.

Just move slowely and be sure not to pinch any of the gals.

Archie
Honey, Vermont sunshine in a bottle.

Offline TJ

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 04:06:06 pm »
I still wear gloves when I work my own hives, but when I am helping with the clubs hives I only wear a veil. The club bees seem so much more calm than mine. I'm sure this is because Rob and Mike from my club are such good and experienced beekeepers that the bees know they are in good hands.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 02:39:12 am »
When the temperature gets above 70 degrees I normally just wear a veil, a short sleeve shirt and shorts. I've been stung maybe 6 or 7 times in the last two years.