Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: HOW DID YOU CHOOSE YOUR MEMBER NAME?  (Read 304395 times)

Offline Cappy

• New Bee
Re: HOW DID YOU CHOOSE YOUR MEMBER NAME?
« Reply #820 on: July 05, 2018, 01:30:28 pm »
I chose the name "Cappy" for my dad. My dad always wanted to have beehives but could never get the idea past mom. I got my fascination of bees from him. After my wife and I finally agreed it was time for beehives we were talking about names for the apiary and future honeybee and honey sales (still a future thing) and we ended on Cappy. My dad was a Crew-chief in an Army National Guard UH-1 medivac unit. The guys there nicknamed him Cappy. It's a friendly abbreviation of our last name. So Cappy's is part of my apiary name...in honor/memory of my dad.

Offline fadder

• New Bee
« Reply #821 on: July 06, 2018, 01:30:26 am »
I got mine from my 10 year old daughter.
Instead of calling me father she came up
with fadder. Of course that means she has
a brutter and mutter too. LOL.
Some days it aint worth chewing through the restraints.

Offline Frances

• New Bee
« Reply #822 on: July 10, 2018, 04:53:45 am »
I choose the name Frances because its my name and I wasn't thinking creatively
I live in a very quiet little Hamlet in France, we inherited a field that had not been touched for 25 years. Full of brambles and stinging nettles.
I cleared most of it last year and started to grow fruit and vege and of course introduced some bees. I now have 2 hives as I split the original so all is going well.
I haven't named the apiary but  my two hives have names,  Betty for my partners mum and Danny after my first grandchild

Offline siskosdad

• New Bee
« Reply #823 on: October 27, 2018, 10:15:13 pm »
My older daughter's nickname has been Sisko since she was about 5 (33 years ago) and, since I am her father, siskosdad. 
Each day, we get another trip around the circle.
Let's make this one better than the last.

Offline seanconnery

• New Bee
    • Ihor Pona Architectural Photography
« Reply #824 on: October 27, 2018, 11:01:47 pm »
When we would have faculty meetings, as standard procedure, we would introduce ourselves, many times over, for any years. At the beginning of one of these meetings, when it was my turn, I introduced myself as "Sean Connery". Some laughed. Only some.

Offline Callahan01

• Brood
« Reply #825 on: February 27, 2019, 09:47:38 pm »
I didn't really get fancy, just used my last name. I am a second-year beekeeper and fairly new so am willing to listen to anyone. I had two hives last year and lost one to wax moths and the second made it halfway through the winter so will be starting over this spring. I live in Northern Illinois so the weather is rather brutal. Was not fully prepared last year but intend to get it together this year. My main goal is to get them through the tough winter here!

Offline seanconnery

• New Bee
    • Ihor Pona Architectural Photography
« Reply #826 on: February 27, 2019, 10:45:51 pm »
At some of faculty meetings, we would invite an instructor (usually well know to all of us) but before the meeting began, we had to go around the table and introduce ourselves. After several years of this, at one of these meetings, instead of my name, I blurted out " Sean Connery". Now I use this member name as a reminder of that time.

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #827 on: February 28, 2019, 02:04:45 am »
I didn't really get fancy, just used my last name. I am a second-year beekeeper and fairly new so am willing to listen to anyone. I had two hives last year and lost one to wax moths and the second made it halfway through the winter so will be starting over this spring. I live in Northern Illinois so the weather is rather brutal. Was not fully prepared last year but intend to get it together this year. My main goal is to get them through the tough winter here!

would you describe the winters you get? maybe advice could be found.

Offline SwarmCatcher

• New Bee
    • Swarmcatcher
« Reply #828 on: March 01, 2019, 05:43:27 am »
I use Swarmcatcher wherever i can, and if I can't then I add UK to the end, if possible. Main reason is because I'm constantly utilising subliminal marketing techniques to try to get people to check my website out and for them to remember me and pass our info out.  Plus I don't have to keep reinventing the wheel on nicknames.

Offline lastfling

• New Bee
« Reply #829 on: March 07, 2019, 08:12:37 am »
When I got into raising and showing rabbits I told the wife ( as she rolled her eyes) - that?s it - no more spending money on a hobby...  this is the ?last fling?, so to speak. Her main point was spending boatloads of money - losing interest then moving on to the next.

Rabbits are still here since 2012 and going into my fourth year with bee?s I may have finally learned enough to get both my hives thru winter ( as of yesterday at least).

I did notice they had consumed the sugar bricks I added a few weeks ago.  With the cold (29 degree nights of late) and a forecast of rain the next several days I may go in today and quickly add another brick to tide them through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lastfling

• New Bee
« Reply #830 on: March 07, 2019, 08:15:17 am »
Excuse the ? marks.  Tapatalk is evidently converting apostrophes and quotation marks to ? For some reason

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #831 on: March 07, 2019, 09:43:23 am »
Excuse the ? marks.  Tapatalk is evidently converting apostrophes and quotation marks to ? For some reason

Don?t worry about the ? marks. This system replaces quotes and apostrophes with ?. Not sure why.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline TexnBrit

• New Bee
« Reply #832 on: May 12, 2019, 04:57:26 am »
Hi there,

Mine is simply because Hubby's a Texan and I'm a Brit.  :happy:
I have opinions, some of them are useful, some are not. Some you'll probably agree with, some you won't. Anything I say is just that - my opinion, nothing more. :smile:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #833 on: May 12, 2019, 09:59:59 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jonking4

• Brood
« Reply #834 on: May 23, 2019, 12:35:51 pm »
Well, when I first got an email account way back in the day... jonking was already taken... so I kept going, until I found the one that hadn't been taken.  :wink:

Offline sixtus

• New Bee
« Reply #835 on: May 23, 2019, 01:59:48 pm »
sixtus was an early pope, I just liked the sound of the name from way back.

Offline paProf

• Brood
« Reply #836 on: June 24, 2019, 10:14:24 am »
Logical... I am a college teacher in Pennsylvania!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #837 on: June 24, 2019, 11:08:34 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #838 on: June 24, 2019, 05:11:31 pm »
bobll stands for Bob and Long Langtroth. Rather uninspiring, I know. It was the best I could come up with on short notice. Lol.

Offline apismel

• Brood
« Reply #839 on: August 31, 2019, 08:38:03 am »
Hi, I am Eduardo from Canberra Australia, I chose apismel shortened version of Apis Mellifera the western honey bee.
I am an extremely newbee, initially motivated by some wild bees that settled in my garden in a retaining wall 5 years ago, I am in the process of organizing a new hive to move them into it.
Cheers and thanks forallowing me to join.