Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB- Found - larva found / webbing on bottom board  (Read 1487 times)

djgriggs

SHB- Found - larva found / webbing on bottom board
« on: July 17, 2018, 09:57:00 pm »
Hello everyone,

I was not going to do a full inspection on one of my hives until this coming Saturday. However for some reason I decided to go out today and pull the IPM bottom board and clean it off.. Well I was very surprised to find a couple "2" SHB and 3 of the Larva / worms and webbing... Now this is on the bottom board ... Let me ask this...

What are my chances that these were the only ones in the hive  :shocked: I know the likeliness of this is very slim.. I am concerned on how to get rid of these and the fact that I will not be able to check the hive until Thursday afternoon at the earliest and Sunday at the latest..

So these were found on the bottom board .. I am going to suspect that they maybe at least in the Lower Hive Body, hopefully not both...

If they are in the Lower deep brood box How can I get rid of them and save the bees. The same question applies to if worms / webbing is found on frames.... I did not expect this as these hive is very , strong.. would these SHB / larva / webbing drive my bees out of the hive causing them to washboard or beard ?

Thank you

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: SHB- Found - larva found / webbing on bottom board
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 10:23:13 pm »
SHB do NOT make webs. Wax moths do. If the larva were wax moths, waiting til Thursday will be fine, and may be all there is in the hive. If they were SHB larva, I think there would have been many.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 10:36:58 pm »
Look for wax moth they leave a web.  One way to deal with this is to Shake all the bees on frames that do not have much going on ie: no brood  and put them in a freezer for a couple of days.  I'm sure there is a better way This has worked once or twice and failed more than that. That's the best I know of.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:58:25 pm »
Mr. Griggs, hello, and good evening.  Purchase a can of freeze spray, {minus 62F} at the very tip.  Can be purchased on amazon.  I use MAX PRO cause of price, SUPER COLD 134 works as well.  If you see webbing, soray it, if they is a larva in the webbing you will know it immediately as the worm will make a run for it.

Beetles run into a cell to hide, spray the beetles, does not take much to freeze them Rock hard.

The freeze spray is non flammable, non toxic, used to dust of computer chips and in Doc office to freeze warts or moles.  You can spray a beetle with a bee one half in away the the bee will not be hurt.  For prime areas such as yours and mine the spray is a must have, with screen bottom boards baited with sub. pollen and diatom earth.  A lot use oil instead of the diatomaceous earth.

I open a hive last week and found the beetle jail.  The beetles scattered and ran into cells.  There must have been 40 beetles that ran into the comb, piece of cake with freeze spray,,,,all dead in a matter of minutes.
Blessings

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 08:53:00 am »
I sometimes find wax moth webbing on an IPM board. If the hive is as strong as you say, it shouldn?t be a problem. It?s better on the board than in the hive. That said, I?d check the hive to aleve any concerns you might have. If you have a box with moths you have a problem.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 09:44:44 am »
If your hive is thick with bees, I would not worry about it. The reason you found them in the bottom is because the bees removed them from the hive. The wax moths then made the webbing to protect themselves.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything