Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Orientation of the hives rotated by 90 degrees  (Read 1246 times)

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
Orientation of the hives rotated by 90 degrees
« on: July 08, 2018, 01:06:32 pm »
I changed the orientation of some of my hives instead of front to back, on the apiary table to side to side and I am wondering if this is something I should not do.  I have a weak back and my biggest problem is reaching out to the frames, as I inspect, when the frames face away from me.  By turning the hives 90 degrees, now all the frames are left to right to me and they are much easier for me to do inspections and not have my back hurt.  Now that the hives are oriented in a different direction, the back of the next hive is about 3 feet front the entrances.  So instead of all the entrances being unobstructed, now the entrances have about 4 feet of space before the back of the next hive.  Is this a problem?

Thanks

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Orientation of the hives rotated by 90 degrees
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 03:09:18 pm »
I would not think so. When the commercial Beeks place their hives, quite often hives face each other.
I do not think they worry about hives being 3 ft apart.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 05:13:20 pm »
I don't think the bees care, I've had hives against fences so the bees need to fly almost straight up along with hives that have gotten pretty much overgrown with weeds along the entrances.  Didn't noticed any problems with either setup. 

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 06:51:02 pm »
I use a frame grip to pull out the frames for inspection.   It is very helpful with such an expensive device.  No more
back straining or hurting for me.    Try the solanpas pain patch and the tens machine.