Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Space?  (Read 1877 times)

Offline rockink

• House Bee
Bee Space?
« on: June 29, 2018, 08:23:57 pm »
So I'm going to try making my own bee escape board with my router..

Is 3/8" the magic number?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bee Space?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 12:16:51 am »
Rockink,
I believe it is 1/4 inch. I made 2 of them about 8 years ago. The idea is to make it so that only one bee can travel in the slots and they cannot turn around. Mine was in the shape of a equilateral triangle with the entrance at the center. If you have SHBs, I recommend that you do not waste your time. It takes to long for them to work and then by the beetle larvae are hatching and slime the honey.
You can buy a plastics escape that fits in the slot of the inner cover. I use them for Trapouts.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 09:40:32 pm »
I finally got around to making this. I still need to cut it out and mount it to a cover but I think it will work. Not pretty but should be functional. My router hands aren't as steady as they used to be.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:53:40 pm »
Rock,
The way this device is designed to work, the bees cannot turn around and only one bee can bee in the escape at a time. If the paths are too wide, it will not work.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 09:34:18 am »
Jim I have a commercial escape and the paths are all of 3/8 inch.  My understanding of how it works is that bees will make right hand turns more often than left hand turns.  They continue to move in a circular motion following the right hand side of the groove.  Occasionally they go straight at an apex of the triangle and get in the outside triangle path until they finally leave the last triangle path.  If they should enter the triangle once outside they follow the right side and go right back out the other apex.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 09:40:11 am »
looking at the top and left apex of rockink's home built it looks wrong to me.  Right side looks good.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 10:31:08 am »
The gaps are 3/8.

Acebird, your right the one side is incorrect.  I tried to draw it our from memory cause I could find my print out. I found it this morning. Here's what i was going for that i found online on dave-cushman.net.

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 10:54:00 am »
I think if the prototype works well for me I'm going to have some made on CNC for all my hives.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline rockink

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 07:07:19 pm »
Thanks! I have seen that one before also. I could just as easily use a router on that design. I think I'll try that also.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 09:32:29 pm »
You should make sure to test it out and let us know how it works. If it works I have a new winter project!
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.