Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Odd queenless hive?  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Odd queenless hive?
« on: June 10, 2018, 06:27:49 pm »
I happen to have hive that is a bit hot.  Decided to requeen with hopefully some calmer genetics.  Last I looked about a month ago there were no signs of swarming. 

I ordered a queen that should be here in about 4 days. 

When I went in today I fully expected to find the queen and isolate her.  What I found was nothing.  No brood to speak of.  Capped only.  No queen cells. 

I know it?s hard to tell.  I?m guessing she swarmed and there is either a virgin queen in there or a queen that didn?t return.

Not real sure what to do if I have a queen coming.  Should I put her in a nuc until I make sure I know what?s going on with this hive?
You are what you think.

Offline moebees

• House Bee
Re: Odd queenless hive?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 07:21:26 pm »
Use a push in cage.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 07:53:07 pm »
If you have a new young queen in there some where then you will see signs of polishing cells in preparation for the new queen.
Also a queenlees hive tend to fill all the cells with honey or pollen whereas a hive with a young queen leave laying space especially in the center frames.
I would put the new queen in a small nuc, let her lay etc and then if the hive turns out queenless transfer the nuc to the hive and you haven't lost any time.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 08:17:14 pm »
If you have a new young queen in there some where then you will see signs of polishing cells in preparation for the new queen.

What do you mean by polishing?  I?m seeing several frames with open cells in center that look like they are kind of shiny on the bottom.  Almost look like there is a bit of wax or jelly on the bottoms.
You are what you think.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 12:10:12 am »

What do you mean by polishing?  I?m seeing several frames with open cells in center that look like they are kind of shiny on the bottom.  Almost look like there is a bit of wax or jelly on the bottoms.
That's pretty much it.  If the open cells are surrounded by nectar and pollen stores, it sounds like they are getting ready for a laying queen.  In 4 days when your queen arrives, there may be eggs or larva in those cells.  I would plan on making a nuc for the new queen.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 01:00:36 am »
I agree, it sounds like you have a new queen. The polishing is a strong indicator. I see it a lot with my observation hive and in my hives.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 08:27:03 am »
Polishing looks like a metal sheen has been applied to the cells, not just empty.
Shiny bright clean.

anything