Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question about new foundation  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Question about new foundation
« on: May 31, 2018, 01:41:32 pm »
Will wax moths go after new foundation awaiting introduction into a hive?  If so, how can I protect new frames with foundation while I wait for bees to be ready for it?

Somehow, I've gotten the impression that wax moths are drawn to used brood comb.  Is all wax susceptible to invasions by wax moths?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Question about new foundation
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 02:02:50 pm »
I am blessed to have an extra deep freeze that is getting a lot of use in the last month.  There several side benefits also.

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 02:54:46 pm »
Will wax moths go after new foundation awaiting introduction into a hive?  If so, how can I protect new frames with foundation while I wait for bees to be ready for it?

Somehow, I've gotten the impression that wax moths are drawn to used brood comb.  Is all wax susceptible to invasions by wax moths?

Wax months do not bother foundation, or comb that has never had brood in it, or comb that is exposed to light.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 03:33:34 pm »
Thanks.  That's kinda what I thought.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 05:06:37 pm »
Wax moths are not drawn to foundation and new drawn comb. They will damage it as they move from frame to frame. If their is a wax moth larvae in the wax foundation super it will do a little damage but they rarely do the much damage to new comb/foundation.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 06:54:47 pm »
I have left wax foundation in storage for months. There were moth trails on it, but not enough damage to prevent it's usage.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 07:47:47 pm »
New frames and new foundation you will be fine. you might see a few small trails on the new foundation but it wipes off with no problems. If you are reusing the frames with new wax you will get more wax moth damage but even then it won't be that serious.