Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brace comb and when to check after installing a nuc  (Read 1015 times)

Offline VermontHoneyBee

• House Bee
Brace comb and when to check after installing a nuc
« on: May 29, 2018, 10:30:12 am »
Hi.  I am new to beekeeping but I am sooooo excited.

I noticed in my nucs that there was a lot of brace comb between frames.  Is that a bad sign?.  Also, I would like to know when I should inspect the hive again.  When I was installing, I did not look for the queen.  I figured that the best thing for them was just to install them and let them be as they had been moved from the nuc place to my house and felt bad for them.

Also, when you clean burr comb, is it a good idea to leave it near the hive?.  I did thinking that the bees would find it and use it inside the hive.

Thank you for assisting in advance

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Brace comb and when to check after installing a nuc
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 11:21:41 am »
>I noticed in my nucs that there was a lot of brace comb between frames.  Is that a bad sign?. 

I have some hives that like to build brace comb while others propolise everything and some do neither.  If your frames are spaced properly then I think that it is just what your bees like.

>Also, I would like to know when I should inspect the hive again.

I try to check my hives every week or two during the spring(swarm season and expansion mode).  A little less later in the season.  It all depends on what you need to know from the hive.  Weekly inspections can catch most of the problems that can occur.

>Also, when you clean burr comb, is it a good idea to leave it near the hive?.  I did thinking that the bees would find it and use it inside the hive.

The bees will rob propolis from used boxes but I haven't seen them do any thing with wax outside of the hive.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 02:31:49 pm »
After installation you should look for the queen one week afterward.   Either try to find the queen or some new eggs indicating that
the queen is still actively laying to ensure you have a queen right hive. 

Also, when you clean burr comb, is it a good idea to leave it near the hive?

No, absolutely not.   I got lazy and put the burr comb next to the hive on the stand.  The next day the sun melted these fragile
comb bits.   Now they stuck on the bee stand making many small brown spots when the dust covered them.   If you want a clean
bee stand then don't put them near the hive.   You can collect them and put them inside a small zip-loc plastic bag for later use.   I use
them by rolling them into small balls to plug the queen cage temporarily when caging the queen to mark her.  There are other uses for
these comb too if you think about it.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 06:57:14 pm »
If you leave the wax, the wax moths can lay their eggs in it and increase their population near your hives. Not a good thing.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin