Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB incident in Montana  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
SHB incident in Montana
« on: May 28, 2018, 05:54:40 pm »
Anybody hear anything about this?  Guess this is the reason I hate platforms like FB.  A lot of misinformation out there.

Apparently someone inadvertently brought in some nucs from Mississippi without having them checked first.  From there all hell br aks loose.
You are what you think.

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: SHB incident in Montana
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 06:09:27 pm »
There are migaratory bee keepers that wish to acquire the knapweed honey in Western Montana, a prized Honey as you, Aroc know.
Blessings

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 06:36:26 pm »
This was in the Bozeman area.  Not sure if it was an individual or a club.  Brought in several nucs.  Montana Dept. of Agriculture got involved.  Sounds like it was a real mess.  By the time it was all said and done all manner of people were involved.  Mt. beekeepers assoc.  Bozeman area club, Bee Culture Magazine, Randy Oliver....the list goes on.

I think the problem was when someone brought these in ?illegally?, a bunch of misinformation started and a huge train wreck ensued.

Just thought someone here may have heard something and clarify for me.
You are what you think.

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 06:54:58 pm »
Anybody hear anything about this?  Guess this is the reason I hate platforms like FB.  A lot of misinformation out there.

Apparently someone inadvertently brought in some nucs from Mississippi without having them checked first.  From there all hell br aks loose.

Here about what?  You haven't provided any information.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 07:09:35 pm »

How does somebody "inadvertently" bring in nucs?  Or bring in nucs and "inadvertently" neglect to have them checked?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 07:16:31 pm »

Here about what?  You haven't provided any information.

That?s why I?m asking.  I don?t have a lot of info.  And I really don?t want to say something that is incorrect.  Being in Montana,  a very low population state, we are often overlooked.  Sometimes not a bad thing.  This can be a big deal though as Montana is anywhere from 3-5th in total honey production for the country.
You are what you think.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 07:21:18 pm »

How does somebody "inadvertently" bring in nucs?  Or bring in nucs and "inadvertently" neglect to have them checked?

From what I understand they brought them in without having them checked.  This is the part I don?t understand.  The person who brought them in says they followed the law but then someone else says they didn?t.  The DOA has quarantined the hives and are ?bagging? them.
You are what you think.

anything