Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feeders  (Read 1003 times)

djgriggs

feeders
« on: May 28, 2018, 10:08:13 am »
hello everyone, I have a question..

I have just done my first split.. Not for sure how it turned out . I think it will turn out okay but we shall see , live and learn right ...

i am currently using a 1 gallon pail feeder for the new splits.. The splits are 8 frame, the extra box surrounding the feeders are 10 frame boxes, with 8 frame cover, yeah just working with what I have , attempted to co er all holes.

My question is , is there a better feeder. for simplicity , ease of use, etc.. What do you guys use.. i went with the pail feeder because I was told that it was easy simple and did not cause much worry..

I have noticed that while using the pale feeder I have to have an extra deep brood box to cover it to keep it out of the weather. just getting curious to see if there is a better way , like the boardman entrance feeder

or https://www.betterbee.com/feeders/efp.asp?mkwid=s&pcrid=271558724353&pkw=&pmt=&pdv=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0a7YBRDnARIsAJgsF3NuCH925Hdd-

I am trying to find ways to disturb the hives less.

Thank you
DJ
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:22:35 am by djgriggs »

Offline little john

• Super Bee
Re: feeders
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 11:13:04 am »
I would seriously discourage anyone from using entrance feeders - they have a well-earned reputation for setting-off robbing - which is just what you don't need having made a small colony.

Myself, I use inverted jar feeders ('cause they cost nothing in materials and take only seconds to make), and live with the need to have boxes to house them - which most folk call Feeder Shells.  Every hive has one, even the nucs - and they double as housings for overhead insulation, which again - all my hives are fitted with as a matter of course.

I have tried other feeder designs over the years, but found that they are either too complex and time-consuming to make, or will drown bees ... or both.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 11:48:12 am »
hello everyone, I have a question..

My question is , is there a better feeder. for simplicity , ease of use, etc.. What do you guys use.. i went with the pail feeder because I was told that it was easy simple and did not cause much worry..

Thank you
DJ

Sugar cakes on top of the frames. Don't need no stinkin feeder and less likely to cause robbing.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 11:19:35 pm »
An inverted quart jar over hole in inner cover is the only way I feed sugar water.  A medium box will cover it up nicely. 

BTW I usually don't feed any of my splits.  Usually I only feed to get weight up for winter.  And that is on a case by case basis.