Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are they about to swarm?  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Flydown

• New Bee
Are they about to swarm?
« on: May 28, 2018, 12:14:20 am »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tHKKyGVr8qr4Fj7i9
I hope the pictures worked. The picture with the least bees was this evening when the temperature was over 90 degrees Fahrenheit. The picture with the most bees was at 10:00pm when the temperature was about 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
"Not everything that can be counted, counts. Not everything that counts, can be counted."
Albert Einstein

Enjoy your blessings.
Lenord Vaughan

Offline Flydown

• New Bee
Re: Are they about to swarm?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 12:28:41 am »
I'm wondering if I should switch from a solid to a screened bottom board for ventilation.
"Not everything that can be counted, counts. Not everything that counts, can be counted."
Albert Einstein

Enjoy your blessings.
Lenord Vaughan

Offline Dustymunky

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 01:04:15 am »
Doubt they are swarming at night. Looks like bearding. Probably time for another deep or supers. Im personally not a fan of screened bottom boards. Bees dont like that much ventilation in my opinion. Adding another deep and possibly a top entrance should help. Another issue is having a water source close by.

Offline Flydown

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 01:20:30 am »
Doubt they are swarming at night. Looks like bearding. Probably time for another deep or supers. Im personally not a fan of screened bottom boards. Bees dont like that much ventilation in my opinion. Adding another deep and possibly a top entrance should help. Another issue is having a water source close by.
I actually have another super ready. I already had a plan to put it on tomorrow. My inner cover has a slit in it for ventilation that can be used as an entrance.
Albert Einstein

Enjoy your blessings.
Lenord Vaughan

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 08:08:49 am »
If the hive was too hot on the inside they wouldn't be covering that entrance like that.  I wouldn't call this bearding either.  My guess is the colony desperately needs space so look inside during the day and confirm.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 08:45:40 am »
Looks like you definitely need a super. Bring a frame of 2 up and replace them with frames from the super.
I would also add insulation under the telescoping cover and make the inner cover a top entrance. I have top an bottom entrances and 2 layers of insulation in all of my hives. Each insulation board has at least one layer of foil.
It usually takes until the next night for the bees to move back into the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything