Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Reusing rendered wax  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Tmoore0246

• Brood
Reusing rendered wax
« on: May 26, 2018, 07:39:33 am »
Hello all.  I'm new to the forum, but have a long standing interest in beekeeping. I was wondering if anyone has heard of a way to use rendered wax to make fully drawn comb to use in place of foundation or empty frames.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Reusing rendered wax
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 07:57:53 am »
I have not. i have tried making a set of molds to make foundation and it is not easy to get the wax out. I strongly suspect that you cannot get wax comb out of a mold.  I have not seen a 3D printer yet that can use wax to print, but if you found one, you could print the drawn comb. I have seen designs that already exist to print plastic comb.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 08:07:14 am »
There are multiple ways of making foundation demonstrated on the web.  Some involve making a machine using dies and others require making silicone molds.  All methods require investment in time and money.  For a hobbyist it might be better to sell the wax and buy the foundation.  As a hobbyist your foundation needs diminish the longer you beekeep.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 10:25:19 am »
I was wondering if anyone has heard of a way to use rendered wax to make fully drawn comb [...]
'fraid not - you can't even get bees to use such wax, other than to build on as foundation (either plain or embossed).
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 12:07:04 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has heard of a way to use rendered wax to make fully drawn comb to use in place of foundation or empty frames.

They don't use the rendered wax but that is what we have bees for.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

anything