Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ventilation and Hive Beetles  (Read 2851 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Ventilation and Hive Beetles
« on: May 24, 2018, 02:48:41 pm »
One of my hives seems to want more ventilation.  I have the entrance reducer on the 4 in. opening, and about 5-10 bees fanning the entrance constantly, no matter the temperature, and others who are chewing on the entrance reducer, trying to increase the size of the opening, I guess.  The bottom entrance is currently the only opening in the hive, other than the screened bottom board.  I've been seeing some hive beetles recently; I caught 5 or 6 on some Swiffer pads in this hive as of last inspection.  I'm trying to keep entrances to a minimum to help with keeping the beetles out.  What would you guys recommend to help increase the ventilation in this situation?                   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Ventilation and Hive Beetles
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 03:58:46 pm »
It might not help you but I recommend nothing.  I run mine with reduced enterances all year. 

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 04:39:48 pm »
If you think they need ventilation  you can remove the reducer or at an upper entrance. Up to you.  But an entrance reducer will not limit the shb from gaining access to the hive.  They can fly straight in.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 05:18:46 pm »
Moe, Agreed, 100%.   Small hive beetles {SHB}will enter a hive one way or another regardless of entrance opening wether 3/4 inch or full open entrance.

I can empathize with you, Member,  SHB to me are more of a threat than varroa.  Arkansas must be a pristine environment for SHB.  Those folks, Beeks, up North can count their Blessings.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:22:35 pm by Van, Arkansas, USA »

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 08:44:29 pm »
Those folks, Beeks, up North can count their Blessings.

Maybe not.  Although SHB are not known to take out a hive up here they don't help.  Packages from the south and west have brought the beetles to the north and they have adapted.  They make it through winter just like varroa.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 09:34:19 pm »
So you guys are saying that, within reason obviously, a little extra opening won't hurt.  Then I think I'll open up a top entrance just to help them out.  Thanks so much, everybody.   :happy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 12:14:47 am »
Member,
I have probably killed more SHB in my oil trays than most beeks see in a life time. I understand your situation. My first year I put a screen top board on top of a hive just before sundown. Within minutes a couple of SHB landed on top of the screen and I killed them for the next hour I was killing them at least every 30 seconds.
Keep your hives strong by not giving them too much space and comb to cover. The SHB will come in the door no mater what size we it is. By the way, all of my screen tops have insulation in them. I do have reduced entrances and a top entrance. There is not much you can do to keep them out.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 01:24:00 pm »
Member,
I have probably killed more SHB in my oil trays than most beeks see in a life time. I understand your situation. My first year I put a screen top board on top of a hive just before sundown. Within minutes a couple of SHB landed on top of the screen and I killed them for the next hour I was killing them at least every 30 seconds.
Keep your hives strong by not giving them too much space and comb to cover. The SHB will come in the door no mater what size we it is. By the way, all of my screen tops have insulation in them. I do have reduced entrances and a top entrance. There is not much you can do to keep them out.
Jim

Thanks so much for the information, Jim.  I'm sure glad I don't have beetles that badly (at least, not yet :sad: :wink: ).  In a way I'm glad to hear that the entrances don't really matter, because then I can just give them the ventilation they need without playing this balancing game of ventilation vs. beetles.  I recently got some of those baited beetle jail traps that I'm going to put in probably this week, so we'll see how those work.  I've also been having the pleasure of feeding my chickens the beetle larva that drop onto the bottom board tray.  *Villainous mustache twirling*  :cheesy:       

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 09:08:48 pm »
[

I've also been having the pleasure of feeding my chickens the beetle larva that drop onto the bottom board tray.  *Villainous mustache twirling*  :cheesy:     

If you let your chickens forage the ground around your hives they will take care of the larvae burrow into the soil.  Probably the best shb preventative in the world.  The main thing is to keep strong hives.  SHB really can't take over a strong hive.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 04:09:24 pm »
If you let your chickens forage the ground around your hives they will take care of the larvae burrow into the soil.  Probably the best shb preventative in the world.  The main thing is to keep strong hives.  SHB really can't take over a strong hive.

I've been considering putting the chickens over with the hives.  They are actually my sisters' chickens, so I'll definitely talk to them about putting up their temporary fencing around the apiary and putting a few of the hens in there.  Do you think the chickens need to be around the hives every day to make a difference, or just like once a week or something like that?     

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 05:49:40 pm »
The hives need to be on stands so the  chickens can get under the hives.  In my case the hives are on pallets so the chickens are not effective at cleaning out SHB.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 09:13:35 pm »

I've been considering putting the chickens over with the hives.  They are actually my sisters' chickens, so I'll definitely talk to them about putting up their temporary fencing around the apiary and putting a few of the hens in there.  Do you think the chickens need to be around the hives every day to make a difference, or just like once a week or something like that?   

The amount of time they spend in the ground varies but it is a minimum of about 15 days so once a week should probably be ok.  As long as they can get under the hives and scratch like Acebird says. 

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 08:46:19 pm »
The hives need to be on stands so the  chickens can get under the hives.  In my case the hives are on pallets so the chickens are not effective at cleaning out SHB.
Hm, I'm not sure if my chickens can get directly under the hives.  My hives are each on two cinder blocks, so the area under the hive is accessible, but it's only cinder block height off the ground, so I don't know how well they can really get under there.  Do you think they'd still be effective? 

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 01:09:38 am »
Hm, I'm not sure if my chickens can get directly under the hives.  My hives are each on two cinder blocks, so the area under the hive is accessible, but it's only cinder block height off the ground, so I don't know how well they can really get under there.  Do you think they'd still be effective?

They should be able to get under there unless you have some really big chickens.

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 07:56:13 am »
Do you think they'd still be effective?
Five minutes of watching them around the hives will tell you.  I know they can stick their heads through a page fence and eat the grass 6 inches away on the other side.  They might not be able to scratch though.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 01:20:08 pm »
Great then, I'll definitely put some over there and give it a shot.  Thanks so much, guys!   :happy:

anything