Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Washboarding  (Read 1975 times)

Van, Arkansas, USA

Washboarding
« on: May 20, 2018, 12:08:33 am »
May18, 2018 my bees started washboarding, kinda early for my area.    Usual month is June, this year there was a better flow if that has any thing to do with it.
Blessings

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Re: Washboarding
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 12:26:47 am »
What is "washboarding"? Not a term used in southern downunder.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 01:05:12 am »
Washboarding is when the bees look like they are licking/cleaning the front of the hive. They go forward and look like they back up cleaning the wood. They do this over and over.
My 6 stack medium hives are doing it also. Good flow this year and I do not have 128 commercial hives right on top of me this year.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 12:33:14 pm »
There are some good videos of bees washboarding online.  Interesting behavior.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 03:33:52 pm »
A large hive needs to be out of the hive when there is nectar to dry so as not to interfere with ventilation.  It is kinda like KP in the military.  Make work project.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 04:28:59 pm »
I think you are right about that Ace.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 05:42:34 pm »
Ace, very well thought out.  You may have solved this mystery of washboarding or at least shine some light on the issue.  Have a pleasant evening.
Blessings

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 06:42:23 pm »
I think what they are telling you, Ace, is that you are so full of it you could fertilize 30 acres of pasture.   :shocked:   :cheesy:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 06:51:21 pm »
People wonder why my garlic grows so nice...
What is your take on washboarding ID?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 06:54:34 pm »
My take is, it's still a mystery.

My take on bearding, tho, is to regulate the population in the hive to control the temperature, as you seem to think washboarding is.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 07:45:25 pm »
I have seen them washboard in cool temperatures.  Goldenrod comes in the fall up here and some years it comes pretty hot and heavy.  Yes I do think the bees washboard when it is hot but I don't think that is the only reason.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 08:07:30 pm »
I thought we were discussing why, not when.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 08:20:56 pm »
Ace, very well thought out.  You may have solved this mystery of washboarding or at least shine some light on the issue.  Have a pleasant evening.
Blessings

DOUBT THAT  :wink:
John 3:16

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 11:07:48 pm »
My thought is that they have nothing to do when there is a dearth.  So rather than sitting around doing noting they
are cleaning the top bars for a slick and shinny look.   Caught them doing it in one year.  I posted that they are too hygienic but got
a big laugh out of that.    They said I don't know the difference.   Oh well, live and learn! 

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 10:55:44 am »
If you notice the way the bees touch the surface of the hive with their mandibles and antenna leads me to believe they are applying pheromones to the surface.  I never see this activity until there is a slow down or a halt to the nectar flow, but most activities become secondary to gathering nectar during a nectar flow.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 05:50:22 am »
Yep, right after the flow during the dearth with nothing to do.    Time to clean up the house a little.