Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Went into anaphylaxis yesterday- what now?  (Read 5146 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Went into anaphylaxis yesterday- what now?
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 05:11:58 am »
I had a woman come to me to get bees, a jar of bees. She had been buying a jar of bees for the previous 25 years. She has a severe case of fibermialsia, so bad that she was totally bed ridden and the doctors gave up on healing her. Someone told her about apitherapy and has been out of bed since. The problem was that her husband developed severe allergic reaction to the bees from handling her laundry with venom on it.   I gave her a jar but I talked her into getting her own bees. She got a hive. Eventually they decided her husband needed to take care of the 🐝 and started stinging him and pulling out the stinger immediately, with their epi in hand, they slowly increased the dosage and now he takes care of the hives.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Vikingcnp

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2018, 04:08:59 pm »
I am not practicing outside of my scope. I am a nurse practitioner but not in primary care.

Always have Benadryl with you. Personally I would take a 25mg dose about 15 minutes before starting work on the hives.

Always have Zantac with you. If you are stung you can take Zantac along with another Benadryl as it is an H2 blocker.

Zantac and Benadryl are evidence based approaches to preventing the histamine cascade.

This is a trick I learned from an ER doc in the reserves.

Your going through desensitization and having an epi pen is a smart move.

Wishing you the best.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2018, 04:49:00 pm »
I had a woman come to me to get bees, a jar of bees. She had been buying a jar of bees for the previous 25 years. She has a severe case of fibermialsia, so bad that she was totally bed ridden and the doctors gave up on healing her. Someone told her about apitherapy and has been out of bed since. The problem was that her husband developed severe allergic reaction to the bees from handling her laundry with venom on it.   I gave her a jar but I talked her into getting her own bees. She got a hive. Eventually they decided her husband needed to take care of the 🐝 and started stinging him and pulling out the stinger immediately, with their epi in hand, they slowly increased the dosage and now he takes care of the hives.
Jim

SO would he have th reaction just from handling the clothes or after he had a sting?

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2018, 04:49:23 pm »
I am not practicing outside of my scope. I am a nurse practitioner but not in primary care.

Always have Benadryl with you. Personally I would take a 25mg dose about 15 minutes before starting work on the hives.

Always have Zantac with you. If you are stung you can take Zantac along with another Benadryl as it is an H2 blocker.

Zantac and Benadryl are evidence based approaches to preventing the histamine cascade.

Wishing you the best.

Thanks for this

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2018, 05:20:50 pm »

Wishing you the best.

Thanks for this

Yes, thanks from me too!!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2018, 09:08:21 am »
Jim

SO would he have th reaction just from handling the clothes or after he had a sting?
His immune system built up an over reaction from injesting, probably breathing in, the dust particles of the bee venom. When you get stung, the body builds up a normal reaction. That is why I am glad my wife works with me and gets stung from time to time.  (She does not appreciate it)
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 01:17:06 am »
Hello everyone,

I am curious what people that have encountered my situation decided and what everybody else thinks of this.

I have been keeping bees for 2 years now, this is the third. I have been stung a few times since I started and although I always got a decent amount of swelling at the site of the sting, I have never develoiped a systemic/generalized reaction. Unitl yesterday. Got stung on my neck (I made the mistake to use my three pieace suit - pants, jacket, veil- as opposed to on of my one pieces and one bee found its way under the veil, must have not sealed around the neck perfectly). WIthin a minute the soles of my feet were itching, my face got swolllen fairly fast, at  which point I went to the emergency room. By the time I got there my body was a huge hive (please excuse the pun, hive as in skin rash). Doc looked into my throat and it was red, but luckily never got to the point where it was too swollen to be able to breathe- I do not want to linger too long on the question of whether that would have happened if I did not get to the emergency room that fast.

Any ways there are my questions.

- Any of you beekeepers went into anaphylaxis during your beekeeping years? If yes, have you though giving it up for a hobby? If yes, what made you stick with it (I suspect that if you are members here, you all still keep bees)?

- For the vast majority of you guys here, who I suspect have only a mild reaction to a bee sting- if same happened to you, would you give beekeeping up? Would you stick with it and be VERY VERY careful? By the way I had 2 epipens with me while checking on the bees so I am pretty counscious of the risks involed and quite proactive about them.

I really enoy beekeeping and it would break my heart if/when I woud completely give it up. So I am trying to think it through as thoroughly as I can and make the right decision. I was hoping I can get a few suggestions from fellow beekeepers that might have gone thourhg this before.

Thank you!

Thanks thousandwords for posting this subject. I read this subject back when you first posted it and even made a comment myself.  I have a question for you and you might have already answered it since, if so please forgive me.  I am wondering, when you received the sting, is it possible that the stinger itself, might have hit a blood vessel of artery, just as a syringe might work from a doctor? The reason that I ask is, you had said within a minute that the soles of your feet were itching.  That is some fast moving reaction!  This reason alone makes me suspect that you just might have had a bee that hit the bulls eye, so to speak..  Will you please update us on this subject? What is the latest in your experiences with this, doctor visits, more stings etc.  Thanks, Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2018, 11:01:46 am »
Hello everyone,

I am curious what people that have encountered my situation decided and what everybody else thinks of this.

I have been keeping bees for 2 years now, this is the third. I have been stung a few times since I started and although I always got a decent amount of swelling at the site of the sting, I have never develoiped a systemic/generalized reaction. Unitl yesterday. Got stung on my neck (I made the mistake to use my three pieace suit - pants, jacket, veil- as opposed to on of my one pieces and one bee found its way under the veil, must have not sealed around the neck perfectly). WIthin a minute the soles of my feet were itching, my face got swolllen fairly fast, at  which point I went to the emergency room. By the time I got there my body was a huge hive (please excuse the pun, hive as in skin rash). Doc looked into my throat and it was red, but luckily never got to the point where it was too swollen to be able to breathe- I do not want to linger too long on the question of whether that would have happened if I did not get to the emergency room that fast.

Any ways there are my questions.

- Any of you beekeepers went into anaphylaxis during your beekeeping years? If yes, have you though giving it up for a hobby? If yes, what made you stick with it (I suspect that if you are members here, you all still keep bees)?

- For the vast majority of you guys here, who I suspect have only a mild reaction to a bee sting- if same happened to you, would you give beekeeping up? Would you stick with it and be VERY VERY careful? By the way I had 2 epipens with me while checking on the bees so I am pretty counscious of the risks involed and quite proactive about them.

I really enoy beekeeping and it would break my heart if/when I woud completely give it up. So I am trying to think it through as thoroughly as I can and make the right decision. I was hoping I can get a few suggestions from fellow beekeepers that might have gone thourhg this before.

Thank you!

Thanks thousandwords for posting this subject. I read this subject back when you first posted it and even made a comment myself.  I have a question for you and you might have already answered it since, if so please forgive me.  I am wondering, when you received the sting, is it possible that the stinger itself, might have hit a blood vessel of artery, just as a syringe might work from a doctor? The reason that I ask is, you had said within a minute that the soles of your feet were itching.  That is some fast moving reaction!  This reason alone makes me suspect that you just might have had a bee that hit the bulls eye, so to speak..  Will you please update us on this subject? What is the latest in your experiences with this, doctor visits, more stings etc.  Thanks, Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"

Astute observation, Phillip.
Most of us are aware that sting reactions can vary wildly, depending upon many factors, including sting site.  those factors are not always considered by the physician when making a diagnosis.  They tend to focus on the symptoms and work from there.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 11:27:49 am »

Quote from Hops
Most of us are aware that sting reactions can vary wildly, depending upon many factors, including sting site.  those factors are not always considered by the physician when making a diagnosis.  They tend to focus on the symptoms and work from there.

Thanks Hops, maybe thousandwords will reply.
Phillip

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 02:32:17 pm »
Hops,
Let?s keep this friendly. No personal attacks.
Not everyone knows what you know. We all have different experiences.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2018, 01:18:02 am »

Quote from Hops

Thanks Hops, maybe thousandwords will reply.
Phillip

I was really hoping to hear more form thousandwords, I even sent a PM to  thousandwords with no reply.  Maybe thousandwords has reached his thousandword limit and has no more to say?  :grin:

anything