Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I need to correct a mistake.  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Flydown

• New Bee
I need to correct a mistake.
« on: May 16, 2018, 11:13:31 pm »
Okay. So being new to beekeeping and I'll equipped when I vacuumed a swarm out of a wall, I made a mistake and now I am trying to figure out how to correct it.
Thinking that I needed to put some brood comb from the colony in the hive box when I took them from the wall, I used the only foundation less frames that I had, one deep and two medium. Two weeks later, when I looked in the hive, the bees had tied that comb in and started hanging comb on the bottom of those frames. That was the first place the queen laid in the hive. Now I know that I need to get them out of there. I have two ideas on how to do it. Tell me what you think.

One idea because the bees are multiplying rapidly, I am needing to add another deep super. I am thinking that I could move some of the brood up into the new super to entice the queen to move up and start laying. When I am sure that she has moved up I could put in a queen excluder to keep her from moving back down. When the brood in those frames has hatched, I could then remove them and replace them with deep frames.

The other thought is that I could get some foundation less deep frames and carefully cut the comb from those frames and use rubber bands to tie them into the deep frames.

Would one of these work or is there another route I should take?
"Not everything that can be counted, counts. Not everything that counts, can be counted."
Albert Einstein

Enjoy your blessings.
Lenord Vaughan

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: I need to correct a mistake.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 11:25:25 pm »
So you have med frames in a deep box.  The simplest solution would be to move them to the outside of the box.  They will backfill with nectar.  Remove them when all brood has hatched out.  If you need to add another box before you can remove them, then you can move them to the top box and replace with empty frames in the bottom box.  I probably have a few mediums in deep boxes.  Its not that big of a deal if they stay in there.

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 12:01:31 am »
Having comb on the bottom of the frame is no big deal.  It will work just like a deep frame and you can remove it whenever you get a chance.  I wouldn't even worry about it.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline Flydown

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:12:58 am »
Having comb on the bottom of the frame is no big deal.  It will work just like a deep frame and you can remove it whenever you get a chance.  I wouldn't even worry about it.
They are attaching it to the inside of the hive. It makes a message when trying to inspect the hive.
"Not everything that can be counted, counts. Not everything that counts, can be counted."
Albert Einstein

Enjoy your blessings.
Lenord Vaughan

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 07:44:36 am »
Cao is right. You have another problem somewhere. I have several medium frames that have been drawn out to deeps. Some are years old. I have never had one attached to the hive body. Look for another problem that is causing them to do that.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 08:48:46 am »
When I am sure that she has moved up I could put in a queen excluder to keep her from moving back down.

If there is only one lower entrance you will jam up the excluder and kill all the drones.  It won't make the hive happy.
The mistake is not going to effect the colony.  It only bothers the beekeeper.
What I would do:
When there is sufficient bees I would pull all the frames that are not cross combed together and leave the ones that are in the bottom box.  You will have to block off the space that the pulled frames made in the lower box.  In two or three weeks the top box should be filled out.  You can check the bottom box for brood.  If there is none you can pull the box and mend the mistake.  If there are some you can waist them or place another box between the two boxes for a week or two to let them emerge.
Usually one mistake doesn't kill a colony.  Mistakes after the first mistake trying to fix something is where a colony takes a nose dive.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 08:39:00 pm »
Like Iddee said.  If they are attaching it to the hive you have a different problem.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 01:51:33 pm »
You worry to much. I keep a short frame in the top box for them to put the drone comb on. When it is all filled out I cut the comb off on a board then I dig out some of the drone larva to check for varroa . Just leave it.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 10:05:45 am »
Get what you want to remove on the other side of an excluder from the queen in whatever box is avialable and will work the best for you.  When the comb doesn't have brood in it, pull it out.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin