Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm boxes.  (Read 3635 times)

Offline Flydown

• New Bee
Re: Swarm boxes.
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 11:17:32 pm »
If you move them 10 miles, they will all have to reorient to the hive.  No need to keep the mesh over entrance or put twigs in front.  If you just move them the 200 ft then you would need to use twigs or something else to block the direct flight path leaving the hive.  In that case there will probably be some bees flying around the original location for a while.

If I move them 10 miles, do they automatically know that they will need to reorientated?
"Not everything that can be counted, counts. Not everything that counts, can be counted."
Albert Einstein

Enjoy your blessings.
Lenord Vaughan

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 11:31:15 pm »
Yes.  That's the 3 mile thing(I heard 2 mile).  If you move them outside of their normal range they have nothing to go by, therefore they reorient to the new location.

Offline Flydown

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 09:35:17 pm »
Okay, I got the bees moved from the swarm box to a hive on Sunday. So far, it seems like a success. Yesterday, I moved the hive to my brother's house about 3 to 4 miles away. I went this afternoon to check on them and saw bees taking pollen into the hive. I will leave them for about two weeks and then bring them home.
"Not everything that can be counted, counts. Not everything that counts, can be counted."
Albert Einstein

Enjoy your blessings.
Lenord Vaughan