BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > NATURAL & ORGANIC BEEKEEPING METHODS

Puerto Rican Bees

(1/4) > >>

Dustymunky:
I?ve seen recent stories that claim honey bees in Puerto Rico are mite resistant,  Africanized honey bees that took over the island.  These bees were aggressive initially like typical africanized bees. Over years of culling queens from aggressive hives and possibly some other unknown mechanisms, the bees are now workable and gentle. DNA tests have been performed and the bees still have african genetics.

This is amazing news to me, keeping the mite resistance but losing the aggression of africanized bees. The news I?ve found on the web wasn?t super in depth. I wonder how these bees perform well and if they could eventually be exported.

Acebird:
A story too good to be true.  Just saying, it doesn't usually happen that way.

moebees:
Its absolutely true and not a new story.  No one knows exactly why it has happened but theories revolve around the climate of the Island.  The colonies have a higher percentage of foragers and lower percentage of guard bees than African colonies elsewhere.  This may be a result of the lack of forage during the dry season and because it is an island they cannot leave.  If it is true that their lack of aggression is due to the unique environment of Puerto Rico then they may return to aggression if they are moved elsewhere.

Dallasbeek:
"...because it is an island they cannot leave."

And they know this how?  Is that like they don't want to sting you because if they do they will die?  They learn it in bee kindergarden?

Dallasbeek:
No offense intended, Moe.  Just pointing out how we attribute to honeybees maybe greater understanding than they can possess.  They are amazing insects, but they don't have superior intellectual powers.  Or do they?  Read "Honebee Democracy" and it makes one wonder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version