BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Lots of honey, no bees

(1/7) > >>

lilprincess:
Just checked on the bees to give them some sugar. New England has had inconsistent weather this year and I wanted to check them and get them some sugar in case they were hungry. What I found surprised me. The 10" and 8" frames were almost full. And there were almost no bees. When I checked them in the fall/early winter I heard bees as I put the wind break around the hive. We picked up all the boxes today and even at the bottom board there were maybe 150 dead bees. Where did they go? What did I do wrong?

The wind break left ventilation, there was no moisture build up, no signs of mice or disease....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Acebird:
Queen died and what was left begged their way into another hive.  Maybe they swarmed and perished.

lilprincess:

--- Quote from: Acebird on February 19, 2018, 12:38:41 pm ---Queen died and what was left begged their way into another hive.  Maybe they swarmed and perished.

--- End quote ---
I wouldn't have thought a swarm, based on the massive amount of honey left. But with the numbers down maybe. Ugh. It was a new queen last spring.

iddee:
Sounds like varroa. Did you do mite counts and/or treat in the fall?

lilprincess:

--- Quote from: iddee on February 19, 2018, 01:28:22 pm ---Sounds like varroa. Did you do mite counts and/or treat in the fall?

--- End quote ---
No evidence of mites now or in the fall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version