Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need some suggestions for transferring from deep to medium  (Read 3662 times)

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
Re: Need some suggestions for transferring from deep to medium
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 03:41:31 pm »
I used the square brood chamber with Dadant depth frames for several years, but I found that having to build non-standard tops, inner covers, bottom boards, and frames to hold queen excluders was a problem.  I decided to use A. N. Draper's solution of standard Langstroth length and width, but greater depth.

Dadant had written that a brood chamber needed 90,000 worker cells for brood rearing and food storage, but I think the queens of his day were not as prolific as those raised now.  I also wanted to use only 9 modified Hoffman frames and a dummy board instead of the full ten frames, so I used a frame 13 inches deep.  This also allowed me to use 1 and 1/2 Pierco plastic foundations per frame giving 10,280, 5.3mm worker cells per frame.

This brood chamber configuration winters well and builds strong adult populations, and also allows for winter stores sufficient to last until our spring nectar flow without additional feeding when used with a good strain of honey bee.  I still am not sure how efficient it is compared with a single deep Langstroth, given that the frames/foundation style requires splicing of the sidebars to get the desired depth, but being retired, and a hobbyist beekeeper, I don't count my time as being worth much.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 03:58:50 pm »

"I'm well-chuffed (Brit slang for pleased) to hear that there's at
least one person 'out there' taking an interest in some of my
meanderings ... :) "

0h tis more than one, LJ, let me tellya... jes' some folk are shy ;-)

Now... are those capped drone cells to lower right of frame,
and if so isn't that interesting they are among the first built
in that first Spring, like none other before them. They had
mobs of space previously just no incentive, apparently.
And when built they were placed in a group at one side of the
new comb...like not spaced across the bottom of the new build.

And if not drone comb can you recall then which frames, and
where on those frames the DCs were built?

Bill

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 07:40:22 pm »
I have a couple of 10 frames deep brood box. Since my back is going bad, I want to change to 8 frames medium brood box. How would I do it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi, and welcome. I kindof derailed your thread, sorry.

I've never used the Taranov method of artificially swarming a colony, but it seems to me you could put the swarm cluster in any cavity you pleased. Then requeen the old colony and sell it for $600 as a complete hive. C.f. http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/taranovswm.html

That said, look at the brood nest in LJ' s picture. That is three 8fr medium boxes *full* of brood.  When I see that, I think. "Hey I would never have to lift a brood box again" and "Hey I could make a split with *one frame*"  but also "I hope they don't make any bridge comb because that will be a big mess. "

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk