ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > GARDENING AROUND THE HOUSE

Getting the garden ready

(1/9) > >>

bwallace23350:
Down south it is about that time that we really start prepping hard for the upcoming spring growing season. I have all my soil amendments already in the garden. Just got to plow them in. I have to plow them in, prune a few more trees, clean up around the hives, put out mulch, and I am going to try some green manure in two parts of the garden. Here is to lots of work but good work.

bwallace23350:
Oh and I have to clean up my raised beds a bit so I can plant some sunflowers. Last year the native bees seemed to love the sunflowers.

minz:
Been warm up here this winter and our early plums and peaches are starting to get bud swell. Kind of took me by surprise and I have been pruning the orchard and front landscape hard. I keep a log and the seeds go on sale at buy one get one half off for the Ed Hume seeds in January so have my seeds purchased. I also have picked up some graft stock for tomato?s and clips to try that.
Picked up two multi graft pear trees (on European one Asian) and put in espalier posts to train them to.
Pulling off my grafting tape from last fall?s bud grafts and painting the ones that took (almost 100% fail on the Brooks Prune)
Moles got active with this last cold front. I had one that was ?trap smart? that I finally got by putting every trap I owned, set to hair trigger, in about a 10? circle around his last hole.

jalentour:
Minz,
Will predator urine work on moles/voles, as far as keeping them away for awhile?

bwallace23350:
One month ago I was thinking I was ok on my garden prep. Now I am starting to get a little nervous. I went with coffee grounds and leaves as my main soil admendments this year

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version