Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Melbourne  (Read 1641 times)

Offline coco

• New Bee
Hello from Melbourne
« on: January 01, 2018, 04:35:42 am »
Hello forum members, I have joined here to gain knowledge in my quest to one day in 2018 establish my first ever beehives.  I have been researching (over the internet) for a couple of months now to grasp a solid understanding of issues/negatives/cons involved when having beehives.   This will enable me to gain knowledge & prepare the area against pests and diseases and ensuring optimal positioning. 

Gardening is my pastime and I have a well established front and rear garden with ample food for bees.  I am also surrounded by neighbours with an abundance of fruit trees and they should benefit from my hobby.  I think I should be advising my neighbours that I will be getting bees and the benefits they will reap, but a I am in two minds just in case they oppose.  I also have a back yard (inground) pool and hope this won't be an issue.

In Melbourne we are currently in the middle of summer. I will be attending my first club gathering in a couple of weeks and do an introductory course in late February. So the journey begins.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hello from Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 06:24:49 pm »
Welcome.  there are a lot of folks from Austrailia on here so hopefully you will find good info for your area!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 10:42:33 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
This is the place to learn and ask all of your questions.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline coco

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 11:13:16 pm »
Thank you for the welcoming.  Already invested a few hours in this plethora of knowledge and have found interventions methods to mitigate ants and rodents.

Still not sure about interventions for SHB, and periodic hygiene practices used in Australia.  Maybe a few useful links would help me.

Anyone here living in the northern suburbs of Melbourne?

Back to the search button!

anything