Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen less in winter  (Read 1706 times)

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Queen less in winter
« on: December 18, 2017, 03:15:27 pm »
Well went in  my hive today since the cold and all here in Florida and since 2 week the hive was good multi stages, today no eggs or larva and only capped hatching eggs lots of bees nd stores 2 supercedure capped cells. Should I sit and wait or combine ? Any suggestions I could combine hive have a single deep hive but they have struggled a little. 80 degree days and no drones yet. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Queen less in winter
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 04:16:46 pm »
I wouldn't assume queenlessness this time of year just because there is not brood.  The days are as short as they are going to get.  Bees often stop rearing  brood because of the short days even if the weather is warm and even if there are resources to raise brood.  After the solstice I would be more inclined to think they are queenless if there is no brood or eggs.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 04:31:50 pm »
Thanks I am gonna wait a couple days and reinspect after my duty day. all of my other 8 hives they are full of brood and eggs , being in fl I don?t get a big break, sand pine started blooming pollen is in the air. If they  Supersedure was done and old queen ( I am not aware of her age)  died before virgin hatched in winter can the maintain till my spring ramp up?

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 05:42:18 pm »
My envy, Medic and all you beeks in FL.  Already have blooms, and pollen do ya.  In N. AR, it?s gonna be a while before we see any blooms.  Maybe snow or ice mix with sunshine the next 10 weeks.  Go ahead Medic, brag, brag, brag, (I would) yes I am envious.  Count your blessings and enjoy the warm weather in your neck of the woods,,,,, while the rest of us freeze, shovel snow, and slip on ice, shiver,  but don?t let that stop you, enjoy the sunshine, get a good skin tan and tell us about all the flowers that the rest of us long for.  Just kidding, my man, just kidding.
Blessings

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 05:59:35 pm »
 :cool: hay van no worries I had to come in from outside to refresh my drink and  get more sun block I saw you replied so I would respond.  I lived in upstate Pennsylvania for a while and know the snow and don?t miss except for hunting. Any tips on my hives?? Sending you some sunshine your way.

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 09:55:08 pm »
I had some quit laying a month ago. They acted fine but I didn?t see any cells. They?re back online now. What other option do you have other than waiting them out? I haven?t heard of sand pine being a good pollen producer but I hope your right. I got a bunch of hives surrounded by thousands of acres of them.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 08:59:18 pm »
I can combine with another hive in my yard, was gonna see If the spercedure cells hatch but they would stay virgin for a while

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 08:31:49 pm »
I would do a combine to save this small colony.  Waiting another 2 months for some
flying drones will be too late for the virgin. 

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 09:23:55 pm »
Well I waited a little bit  checked yesterday and bees are queen less, have a deep and 1/2 full of bees and will be most likely combine after Christmas Day, as I have to work at fd but girls are flying.
Thanks for all your help and input
Merry Christmas

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 06:14:02 pm »
Good luck with the late combine.   Are you using the newspaper method or another better
method for the combine?

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 07:45:12 pm »
Well did a news paper combine today. Will see  how they do.

anything