ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Starting a small nursery

(1/2) > >>

jalentour:
I'm looking for another income source and was thinking of looking into the possibilities of  starting a wholesale plant container/nursery business.  Start plants from grafts or cuttings and take the long view for inventory.  Has anyone had any luck with this business? 
I have land/water/sun.  Some time but not much.

Acebird:
All businesses require connections.  You have to break away customers from their present supplier if the number of customers are not increasing.  Good luck.

beepro:
Like selling honey or local raised queens, it depends on the local market condition unless you plan to expand nationally or internationally. 
I say before you start any type of business it is better to have a business plan.  Through it you will
identify who your customers are and the distribution channel, products, commitment, etc.   Like beekeeping, all you have
to do is to try it out before investing a lot into it.    Because thinking and reality has a big or small gap in between.
Try it first to see how much resources you have to invest to it before going to the next step.   It is a step-by-step process if you can
commit to it for the long run before seeing any profit.   All are described in your business plan.  Go ahead and try! 

Acebird:
My step daughter had no business plan only had a whim.  Put together 500 bucks with a friend in FL she met on the internet (she lived in NY) and used the FB platform to create a business.  This time of year she sells 40K in a week end.  Still doesn't have a business plan other then she plans on doubling her size.  She is probably wrong.  based on what has happened in the past I think she will triple in size.  No business plan, just works very hard.  Those darn liberals.

beepro:
She doesn't has a plan but her business partner does.  If her friend does not has a business plan either then
it must be an easily run business like a cup cake business for example.  Having a plan is to help you focus so that
it is easier to control the cost once it expands.  Unless you're really good at baking cup cakes, I wouldn't run a business blindly. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version