ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > GARDENING AROUND THE HOUSE

Planting dry asparagus crowns

(1/3) > >>

beepro:
Hi, All!

I'm fairly new at beekeeping.  This is my 5th seasons with one nuc hive. 
Because of our mild winter environment in zone 9 b, this is a perfect time to
plant some asparagus crowns.  I've read that honey bees will work on the
asparagus flowers too.  So I like to see how they will grow in our area.  This year I've ordered 40 purple passion asparagus crowns via the online store.  The crowns arrived on time but the roots were bone dry!

For those of you who have received asparagus crowns via mail in the past, did they arrive dry? And if so, did they grow well after you planted them out?

Acebird:
Yes, they would normally be packed in dry peat moss.  Hydrate them first before planting and in your dry area you better keep the water to them or you will be eating corn stalks.  Note, you can't harvest for 3 years.  Yes, bees love them.

Oh I forgot to add when you do harvest do not harvest everything from each root.  You need to let some grow to full maturity or you will have none the next year.

Kathyp:
Yup.  Dry.
We get ours out of bins at the feed store.  they are sold bare like bulbs.

When you plant them, spread the roots out and then if you have hard winters, it doesn't hurt to throw some straw over them for winter.  Just make sure you take it off early in spring.  they are pretty hardy so most will make it without the straw.

Pull up some youtube videos of planting.  They are simple, but you want to get the right depth and soil for a good start.

jalentour:
I was able to eat many of my asparagus during the second season.  Picked them right off the plant.
Thanks for the tip not to eat them all!
Next year will be the third year of my 6x20 bed, looking forward to it.

beepro:
I planted all 40 crowns in my 15x40' plot today.  Still have a lot of room left to
grow something else.  But it is getting colder now at night time.   So have to order more
crowns to fill up this bed soon.   Found out that asparagus are very healthy for us and can prevent
many diseases.  Too bad not many know about this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version