Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Should I transfer my bees to a smaller box?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Oneamateur

• New Bee
Should I transfer my bees to a smaller box?
« on: October 11, 2017, 07:26:34 pm »
I have a hive that would not draw all 10 frames. I bought it in a 5 deep frames nuc last April. Within a couple weeks, it was over crowded. So I put them in the 10 deep box. By the end of May, They drew only 8 frames. The hive was honey bound. I put a 10 deep box on top. They filled and capped 8 frames of honey. I also found a few swarm cells. I split the hive in two. Now both of them filled out only 8 frames. Should I put them in 8 frame deep box to get ready for the winter in NW Florida? Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Should I transfer my bees to a smaller box?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:42:06 pm »
What is in the 2 empty frames. If it is not empty drawn comb, you can just leave them in the 10 frame. Better yet replace the frames with foam insulation cut to the size of a frame. They should be good either way. You may need to feed in February.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Oneamateur

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:06:42 pm »
2 empty foundations in each hive.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:10:42 pm »
They should bee good here in Florida.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin