BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING

Hive inspection advice

(1/4) > >>

Sydney guy:
Today I went to help a friend with his first ever bee inspection, he was given a hive that is going really well. It is 2 supers deep. This hive has no queen excluder and the frames are all moulded together with wax. Frames a fragile. I was thinking prepare another box and have frames ready to replace the ones we break and moving into another box and putting a queen excluder in if we find queen.

Or should we just leave the box as is and put a fresh supper on the bottom and wait for Queen to move down into this box then later add the excluder.

Thanks for any advice

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

BeeMaster2:
First, I don't use or recommend using a queen excluder. Can cause swarming and slow honey production.
I think adding a super under the hive is a good idea and allow the bees to build down. Then as the brood moves down and fill these boxes with honey, it will take at least two under Supers, you can remove and extract the honey and replace the frames as needed.
Jim

Sydney guy:

--- Quote from: sawdstmakr on October 08, 2017, 08:20:45 am ---First, I don't use or recommend using a queen excluder. Can cause swarming and slow honey production.
I think adding a super under the hive is a good idea and allow the bees to build down. Then as the brood moves down and fill these boxes with honey, it will take at least two under Supers, you can remove and extract the honey and replace the frames as needed.
Jim

--- End quote ---
Thanks Jim, appreciate the reply.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

RobboWA:
Hi Jim,
Have you ever used a queen excluded?
Clint

iddee:
I'm not Jim, but I agree with him. After 40 plus years of beekeeping, I have used excluders many times for many reasons. I have found an excluder for a newbee to be very detrimental. After about 5 years of intense beekeeping, a keeper may know enough of the pitfalls to be able to be successful at using them. Until then, he should only use them for getting his truck out of a mud hole.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version