Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best time to approach a wild hive  (Read 1387 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Best time to approach a wild hive
« on: October 05, 2017, 12:26:21 pm »
I have a hive I am not sure the temperament of that is surrounded by high grass and bushes. I will need to cut the grass to get at the hive. It is around 60 in the mornings. Is this the best time to approach the hive and also would it just be better to leave it till the next spring? I have no more information about this hive than this.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Best time to approach a wild hive
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 12:33:46 pm »
I am a witness "this is not a time to remove a hive if it can be done next spring"

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 12:36:18 pm »
Why so? We are in the midst of a solid fall flow

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 01:50:17 pm »
By moving the bees there is always a loss of assets that the bees need for winter survival. This may be offset by feeding all winter. Also moving them creates stress which is an open invitation for SHB invasion.  I would not move them unless there is some outside problem that makes moving the best alternative.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 02:24:12 pm »
1:32 PM and not a second before.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 02:34:54 pm »
OK, seriously, Paus gave good answer.  However if you have to collect the bees soon and cannot wait for spring then consider mid day.  The older, grumpy foragers will be in the field during mid day so at least some of the meaner bees will not be in the hive.

Cool morning will slow the bees down however temps in the 60's is not cool enough to stop the guard bees from attacking you. 
Blessings

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 02:39:42 pm »
Thanks. I might just maintain the grass around the hive and wait for the spring if the darned hurricane does not force action before then.

anything