Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lethargic Hive  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Lethargic Hive
« on: September 27, 2017, 08:29:47 pm »
We have a 2x4 observation hive that has pretty much done as expected this year.  We installed a package the end of April.  The only thing it did really do was to fill out the bottom frames.

We are wanted to pretty much let it go and just observe....since that is what it's for.  We have never opened the hive up as we really saw no reason.  We would occasionally spot the queen doing her thing.

A couple of weeks ago we went from 90 deg to 30 in about 48 hours.  Coincidentally we noticed no new brood.  In fact now there is only a small patch eating to emerge about the size of a silver dollar.  There could be brood in the inside frame that we can't see.

The last couple of days it has gotten up to the upper 50's and mid 60's.  There is very little activity at entrance.  Other hives seem to be doing well.  Noticed also a lack of activity within the hive.  Very slow moving.

Any ideas.  Could I be queenless?   If I am I can't see how since it definitely was not by my hand.  I see no queen cells unless there are some inside.  Not real sure what I can do at this late date to fix it if it is.  No drones anymore that I can see flying and I doubt I can successfully get a queen here this late safely.
You are what you think.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Re: Lethargic Hive
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 08:35:07 pm »
Also should note the queen was a Carniolan.  Could she have shut down this early.
You are what you think.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 08:51:42 pm »
As you said, the queen shut down. One thing that you did not mention was the number of bees on those 2 frames. Are they packed solid, thick as can be or are they barely able to cover that dollar size patch?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 09:04:50 pm »
There are a lot of bees in the hive.  The top two frames are full of honey, so not a lot of bees there.  The next two frames have honey on one and the beginning of capped honey.  There are plenty of bees on that.  Hard to see through the bees.  The next two frames has the dollar size brood patch.  That one also has a lot of bees.  Mostly open cells except for the brood patch.  Again, hard to see through the bees.  The next two frames has just drawn comb.  Never any brood or honey.  Just waiting.  The bottom two frames are not drawn.
You are what you think.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 09:31:50 pm »
Is your observation hive in your house? If so it sounds like it is in good condition. I have saved nucs and put them in my observation hive and have them make it through the winter.
My observation hive is a small one frame hive that just doubled in size due to usurpation last week. I am still looking for proof that one of the 2 queens survived the ordeal. As long as one of is still in there they should be good.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 10:24:53 pm »
It is in our house....bedroom actually.
You are what you think.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 11:02:01 am »
It's the time of year when things wind down, not up.  Winter is coming.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin