Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: No Drones......ever  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
No Drones......ever
« on: September 18, 2017, 01:17:14 pm »
 One of my hives have never produced any drones all year. It is an observation hive but I still find it odd.

Could it be that there isn't enough room with in the hive to build drone cells?
You are what you think.

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: No Drones......ever
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 01:55:18 pm »
My 2 cents.  Drone brood is initiated prior to reproduction.  Reproduction in this case pertains to swarming, that is hive reproduction, not individual.  Your hive has no intentions of swarming, therefore no drone cells are initiated.
Blessings

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 02:37:00 pm »
ditto what Van said
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 09:49:34 pm »
I read that it takes a certain number of bees in the hive before the bees start to make drones.  The author did not know how the bees knew how many bees were in the hive but he determined there was a threshold. I forget the number but he did provide one.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 08:07:17 am »
ditto what Jim said.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 08:49:52 am »
Agree with what's already been said.  Healthy nuc-sized colonies don't raise drones, and so I'm not surprised to hear that an observation hive hasn't.
LJ

Whoops - just checking:  by "observation hive" do you mean the type often placed inside a building, typically with 2-3 frames ? (that's what I've assumed above)

Or could it be a full-sized hive fitted with windows in the brood box sides ?  I know some Warre hives are built like this, but don't know if Langs and similar are.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:48:29 pm by little john »
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 11:23:51 am »
Has the poster been removing frames of brood from the hive?
Just wondering if he was controlling the swarm instinct by keeping the size of the hive low.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 09:10:08 pm »
I read that it takes a certain number of bees in the hive before the bees start to make drones.  The author did not know how the bees knew how many bees were in the hive but he determined there was a threshold. I forget the number but he did provide one.
Jim

This may be what you're looking for. This is actually one of the reasons why. People using 4 frame nuc to draw comb.
I do know 3 Beekeeping in New England that does this . Michael Palmer,Kirk Webster and Troy Hall
   http://honeylove.org/forums/topic/what-triggers-drone-comb-production/

https://blountbees.wordpress.com/tag/drone-cells/

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:35:43 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 10:59:01 pm »
Agree with what's already been said.  Healthy nuc-sized colonies don't raise drones, and so I'm not surprised to hear that an observation hive hasn't.
LJ

Whoops - just checking:  by "observation hive" do you mean the type often placed inside a building, typically with 2-3 frames ? (that's what I've assumed above)

Or could it be a full-sized hive fitted with windows in the brood box sides ?  I know some Warre hives are built like this, but don't know if Langs and similar are.

It's a 2x4 wall mounted Lang frame hive.
You are what you think.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 11:02:54 pm »
Has the poster been removing frames of brood from the hive?
Just wondering if he was controlling the swarm instinct by keeping the size of the hive low.

Haven't removed any frames.  She doesn't have all the frames filled.  The bottom two have yet to be drawn.
You are what you think.