Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Open the hive during the eclipse?  (Read 1600 times)

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
Open the hive during the eclipse?
« on: August 21, 2017, 12:42:03 pm »
Is anyone considering opening a hive during the eclipse?
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Open the hive during the eclipse?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 01:55:06 pm »
Why would you. It will bee darker than normal. What is the purpose?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 04:05:58 pm »
I wish I was at home, I'd like to see what the bees do. Will they return to the hive, or stay put where they're at.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Online gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 04:38:34 pm »
gsf
I looked at the bees right before it got dark and the actual darkness was so short that it did not really leave time for good checking.  I did notice the chickens more then I did the bees.  they did not act much differrent leading up to the darkness but once it was dark you could see them heading for the chicken house and the second the sun broke through you could see them coming back out.  It was kinda interesting to notice and much easier to see then the bees and my guess is the bees might have acted the same.
Cheers
gww

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 06:04:02 pm »
Chickens can't see at night so they head for their roost which would be in the trees if they are wild and in the coop if not.  Although we barely got dark up here I have seen the chickens head for the roost when a thick dark cloud makes it dark outside.  Any bees that were two or three miles away would not or could not fly back to the hive before the Eclipse was over.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 06:27:54 pm »
Ace
We had full blockage for suposedly two min and 30 something seconds and it did get pretty dark.  If I sit here and count 150 seconds, that seems like a pretty long time but all I can say is it gets dark fast and gets light fast cause the sun only has to peak around the moon and it is pretty light out.  I have seen clouds make it darker then all but that two minutes of full coverage.
It was still kinda fun to see the chickens head for the coup and barily make it or not make it and then it get light again.  I find animals pretty fun to watch.  I have spent a lot of time sitting on a bucket and just watching the bees come and go from the hives also.  All I can say is the watching is usually more fun then working.
Cheers
gww

Offline Spur9

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 06:45:43 pm »
Why you should not have looked.  It can be very dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvmkDdmIDdA
7a - 1650ft

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 09:04:15 am »
Ace
We had full blockage for suposedly two min and 30 something seconds and it did get pretty dark.
Maybe in 2024 I will get a chance to see it assuming we aren't already dark from the clouds.  Ha, ha.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it