Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: THINK SHE IS angry?  (Read 519 times)

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
THINK SHE IS angry?
« on: August 10, 2017, 04:25:38 pm »
THINK SHE IS angry?

I don't think angry really covers it !!!!Alan Simpson, the Senator from Wyoming calls senior citizens the Greediest Generation as he compared "Social Security " to a Milk Cow with 310 million teats. Here's a response in a letter from PATTY MYERS in Montana ... I think she is a little ticked off! She also tells it like it is!"Hey Alan, let's get a few things straight!!!
1. As a career politician, you have been on the public dole (tit) for FIFTY YEARS.
2. I have been paying Social Security taxes for 48 YEARS (since I was 15 years old. I am now 63). 3. My Social Security payments, and those of millions of other Americans, were safely tucked away in an interest bearing account for decades until you political pukes decided to raid the account and give OUR money to a bunch of zero losers in return for votes, thus bankrupting the system and turning Social Security into a Ponzi scheme that would make Bernie Madoff proud. 4. Recently, just like Lucy & Charlie Brown, you and "your ilk" pulled the proverbial football away from millions of American seniors nearing retirement and moved the goalposts for full retirement from age 65 to age, 67. NOW, you and your "shill commission" are proposing to move the goalposts YET AGAIN.
5. I, and millions of other Americans, have been paying into Medicare from Day One, and now "you morons" propose to change the rules of the game. Why? Because "you idiots" mismanaged other parts of the economy to such an extent that you need to steal our money from Medicare to pay the bills.
6. I, and millions of other Americans, have been paying income taxes our entire lives, and now you propose to increase our taxes yet again. Why? Because you "incompetent bastards" spent our money so profligately that you just kept on spending even after you ran out of money. Now, you come to the American taxpayers and say you need more to pay off YOUR debt.
To add insult to injury, you label us "greedy" for calling "BS" to your incompetence.Well, Captain BS, I have a few questions for YOU:
1. How much money have you earned from the American taxpayers during your pathetic 50-year political career?
2. At what age did you retire from your pathetic political career, and how much are you receiving in annual retirement benefits from the American taxpayers?
3. How much do you pay for YOUR government provided health insurance?
4. What cuts in YOUR retirement and healthcare benefits are you proposing in your disgusting deficit reduction proposal, or as usual, have you exempted yourself and your political cronies?
It is you, Captain BS, and your political co-conspirators called Congress who are the "greedy" ones. It is you and your fellow nutcase thieves who have bankrupted America and stolen the American dream from millions of loyal, patriotic taxpayers.
And for what? Votes and your job and retirement security at our expense, you lunk-headed, leech.
That's right, sir. You and yours have bankrupted America for the sole purpose of advancing your pathetic, political careers. You know it, we know it, and you know that we know it. And you can take that to the bank, you miserable son of a bleep. P.S. And stop calling Social Security benefits "entitlements". WHAT AN INSULT!!!!
I have been paying in to the SS system for 45 years ?It's my money?-give it back to me the way the system was designed and stop patting yourself on the back like you are being generous by doling out these monthly checks .
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
Re: THINK SHE IS angry?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:41:29 pm »
Good post.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Online Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:55:38 pm »
Well... I don't totally agree with her but she does call a spade a spade... I personally believe it is social insecurity and just another tax. The idea is reasonable but as with many government programs the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Any supporters of SI I ask how many bank accounts have they opened in the government's name other than SI? If you think SI is so great then why not open other accounts in the government's name? I worked for Lockheed Martin for exactly 2 years. From August of 2000 to August of 2002. When I left I stuck my head in the sand and left my 401k. It was worth about $11,000 at the time. A couple years ago I moved my 401k from another previous employer and contacted Lockheed to get access to my account. Yesterday I checked it and it was over $58,000. SI won't get even closed to a return like that. If I had been able to add another 7% of my salary at the time I'd have a lot more money now. We have a commitment to current and future retiring workers that we need to keep. But if we start rolling SI into individual accounts we can have a better retirement savings without putting the country into bankruptcy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Psparr

• House Bee
THINK SHE IS angry?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 10:14:53 pm »
The problem is si isn't voluntary. Nobody thinks it's the saving grace, just something that was promised and should be kept.

Online gww

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 10:26:24 pm »
Eric
Yesterday I checked it and it was over $58,000. SI won't get even closed to a return like that. If I had been able to add another 7% of my salary at the time I'd have a lot more money now.

Good for you but the truth is that many had to decide on baby food or diapers of how to eat when thier factory moved and did not have the willpower to do as well as you have.  Add to the fact that the stock market is still a gamble and can go the other way right at the time you need your money.  One time my uncle had about thirty thousand grow to almost a hundred thousand and then there was a down turn and he was back down to thirty thousand.  Luckily it did not happen when he was having to live off of it and he was able to leave it till it rebounded.  He would have been up a ---- creek if it had happened at the wrong time in his life.  Secondly though living life, when ssi came about, way over 90 percent of the older population did not prepare as well as they are prepared now with recieving ssi.  Yes, maby it was that 90 percent of the people fault that they were not prepared though that is not what I believe.  I believe that life got in the way or a kid got sick and that at the time was more immportant then some far off future.

Good for you but 58,000 will not take you far if you find yourself having to live on it and it might be 11,000 again when you need it.

It is easy to fall off of a high horse with the wrong turn of events.  I fall off all the time.
Cheers
gww

Pspparr
you got done before me but I agree, the promise should be kept.

Online Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 08:07:28 am »
PsParr,
 In my post I said we have an obligation to current and imminently future retires that we must keep. But Social Insecurity is a very bad deal. Check out this video...
http://www.learnliberty.org/videos/social-security-vs-private-retirement/

There is no security in Social Insecurity. That is why I dislike it so much. I currently put 16% of my salary into my 401k. When I get a raise I will increase that. If I could put the money I pay into social insecurity into that account I would be in a whole lot better financial position.

gww,
Eric
Yesterday I checked it and it was over $58,000. SI won't get even closed to a return like that. If I had been able to add another 7% of my salary at the time I'd have a lot more money now.

Good for you but the truth is that many had to decide on baby food or diapers of how to eat when thier factory moved and did not have the willpower to do as well as you have.

I was laid off from Lockheed and I had to find another job. While I was there I mostly put 16% of my salary in my 401k. Lockheed matched $0.50 on the dollar up to 8% in the ESOP fund (Employee Stock Option Plan). When I bought my house I dropped it down to 8% for a little while. I worked with somebody who was only putting in about 1%. He told me he couldn't afford to put more in than that. I said "You can't afford not to put in 8%. You are taking a cut in pay." I was only allowed to keep my 401k where it was because I had over $10,000 in it when I left. The reason it has done so well is because Lockheed stock has gone up significantly.

Add to the fact that the stock market is still a gamble and can go the other way right at the time you need your money.  One time my uncle had about thirty thousand grow to almost a hundred thousand and then there was a down turn and he was back down to thirty thousand.  Luckily it did not happen when he was having to live off of it and he was able to leave it till it rebounded.  He would have been up a ---- creek if it had happened at the wrong time in his life.

As discussed in the video to which I posted a link, if you are that concerned about invest it in treasury bills.

Secondly though living life, when ssi came about, way over 90 percent of the older population did not prepare as well as they are prepared now with recieving ssi.  Yes, maby it was that 90 percent of the people fault that they were not prepared though that is not what I believe.  I believe that life got in the way or a kid got sick and that at the time was more immportant then some far off future.
I said that I thought it was a good idea but poorly executed. Rather than create a ponzi scheme and loot it when there was a surplus simply create private accounts. Do you have any account other than Social Insecurity in Uncle Sam's name? If you think SI is such a great idea go open a bank account in Uncle Sam's name.
Good for you but 58,000 will not take you far if you find yourself having to live on it and it might be 11,000 again when you need it.

It is easy to fall off of a high horse with the wrong turn of events.  I fall off all the time.
That $58,000 is not my only retirement. It is just the growth from the 2 years while I worked at Lockheed. I use it as a great example of a static account that I have not contributed in 15 years. I will even be the first to say that as a Lockheed stock holder I want their stock to go up... I don't however believe that the JSF/F35 is the be all and end all of air superiority. Especially considering that North Korea aside, the majority of conflicts in which we are involved require close air to ground support and no other plane in history does that as well as the A10 Warthog.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 10:17:06 am »
And stop calling Social Security benefits "entitlements".

But it is.  It is no different than working for 40 years getting laid off and drawing unemployment or if things get real bad going on welfare.  The money you put into SS went to someone older whether they deserved it or not.  Now someone younger is supporting you.  No one today can live on SS and yet half of it goes to health care so most people keep working but not for what they were getting.  Most likely it is minimum wage at McDonald's or a Walmart greater.  I hope I get what is promised out of SS but I don't think it is the governments responsibility to be everyone's financial planner.  I do think it is the governments responsibility to provide for health care when there is some quality of life and when there isn't ... pull the cork.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 11:01:21 am »

But it is.  It is no different than working for 40 years getting laid off and drawing unemployment or if things get real bad going on welfare.  The money you put into SS went to someone older whether they deserved it or not.  Now someone younger is supporting you.  No one today can live on SS and yet half of it goes to health care so most people keep working but not for what they were getting.  Most likely it is minimum wage at McDonald's or a Walmart greater.  I hope I get what is promised out of SS but I don't think it is the governments responsibility to be everyone's financial planner.
Whoo Hoo!!!!!! Something else on which we can agree!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:37:06 pm by Eric Bosworth »

Offline Psparr

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 12:29:58 pm »
I do think it is the governments responsibility to provide for health care when there is some quality of life and when there isn't ... pull the cork.
Especially people with special needs   I mean what quality of life do they have?
Or how about Jews? I mean who needs them? 

Ace I worry about you sometimes!!

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 05:57:31 pm »
Especially people with special needs   I mean what quality of life do they have?
They might not have the quality that I have but they have some.  Not what I am referring to.
Or how about Jews? I mean who needs them? 

What is this crack about?  I don't worry about you but I am aware that you like to speak for people instead of reading and understanding what someone wrote.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 07:54:53 pm »
We should base everything on 70. It'll solve many problems.

IQ below seventy, euthanize.

Age above 70, euthanize.

PS. I'm 72.   :tongue:

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 09:05:36 pm »
this has been my thing about SS forever.  Disability payments = welfare.  Old age payments beyond what you put in and the average 2% interest = welfare.  When someone says "It's my money", it's probably not.

It didn't matter so much when we had a large young population paying in and the average life expectancy was 62.  People would collect for a few years and die.  Now life expectancy is close to 79 and collecting SS is like a second job payment.  There are people who will collect SS longer than they worked.

Let people opt out and call payments to poor elderly what it is.  Welfare.

?Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.?

― George Orwell, 1984

Offline Psparr

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 09:19:55 pm »
Ace, maybe you could elaborate on what "pull the cork" means?
Should it be the governments responsibility to determine who's cork gets pulled and when? 

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 09:46:13 pm »
Should it be the governments responsibility to determine who's cork gets pulled and when?
Why do you need the government for that?  When you can't feed yourself, when you can't drink water, when you can't wipe your ass and that is after not being able to control your bowel movements, you can't recognize your wife, husband or children, you are nothing more than a victim that makes a nursing home profitable by draining thousands and thousands of dollars out of the ss, medicare and medicare system, pull the freaken cork.  Age has nothing to do with this system other then the older you get the more likely this will happen to you.  We have taken away any respectable way to end our lives.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Psparr

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 03:15:34 pm »
Why do you need the government for that?  When you can't feed yourself, when you can't drink water, when you can't wipe your ass and that is after not being able to control your bowel movements, you can't recognize your wife, husband or children, you are nothing more than a victim that makes a nursing home profitable by draining thousands and thousands of dollars out of the ss, medicare and medicare system, pull the freaken cork.  Age has nothing to do with this system other then the older you get the more likely this will happen to you.  We have taken away any respectable way to end our lives.
I misunderstood where you were going with that.  Thought you were advocating having the government make that decision.
The left does say it's "my body, my choice".  Funny how that doesn't hold true for a real small body inside of another.

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 02:55:17 am »
It seems to me that private retirement accounts are a reasonable alternative to future participation in SS ? so long as?
?Gains are forfeit to SS if the contributor dies before the retirement age.
?The contributor cannot draw down before retirement age.

This would mirror SS but give an `up-side` to a contributor should their investments beat SS, which should be easy to do.  Plus it enforces the insurance aspect, and the societal participation aspect of SS.

I`d also remove the SS contribution cap ? encouraging high-earners to contribute to society at the same rate as others.

(I also have an IRA from just $2k in 1983 that is now worth just over $50k.  Not as good as a prior land investment, but still good and much better than SS.  I will be blowing off my SS as a contribution to the program and those in more need than me.)
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Online Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 08:27:40 am »

(I also have an IRA from just $2k in 1983 that is now worth just over $50k.  Not as good as a prior land investment, but still good and much better than SS.  I will be blowing off my SS as a contribution to the program and those in more need than me.)

It is easy to beat the returns of Social Insecurity. I have a real problem with SI's 100% death tax. I also have a problem with the last sentence of your post. Unfortunately, I believe my SI contributions are going to a slush fund for congress. Congress has a very bad record when it comes to money management. I believe in private charity. The thing is, with charity I don't have to continue donating if I feel my donations are being wasted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Online sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 01:04:58 pm »
Beecan,
Why do you think the government should have your money after you die. You work hard all your life and pay more than 50% of your income to the government and then you want to give them every dime you saved up for you and your family?
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 07:54:33 pm »
Jim if your family needs your money they will blow it on foolishness if your family doesn't need it then well...
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Psparr

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 08:57:00 pm »
Jim if your family needs your money they will blow it on foolishness if your family doesn't need it then well...
It's HIS MONEY! It should be one of the governments business what he does with it!