Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A way to make a queen lay.  (Read 2020 times)

Van, Arkansas, USA

A way to make a queen lay.
« on: August 08, 2017, 06:53:58 pm »
A way to make queens lay is provided:

Attached is a link to an article pretaining to sex determination of honey bees.  The article is a little bit over my head, very detailed.   However, as discussed in the article is a means of making queens lay by continuous exposure to carbon dioxide.  The article did not define continuous exposure??? it that everyday, ever other day???? How long to expose the queen???  Probably somewhere in the references is the precise answer.  I just wanted my fellow beeks to realize a queen can be made to lay.  I have leared so much from this site, I am very appreciative.

Anyway, the scientist needed drone eggs so they needed virgin queens to lay and lay everyday.  They could and did entice the virgin queens to lay.  Now I have no plans to force laying of a queen bee.  I thought the info might provide useful, a sort of good to know thing.  A carbon dioxide kit used for "plant" aquariums is available on Amazon.  Not much money for the kit,  complete with co2 and regulator, but I cannot provide price per adm. rules.  Carbon dioxide is routinely used for artificially inseminated queens, two short exposures of a queen to co2 gas creates an egg laying maniac.
Blessings

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2758576/#!po=63.6905

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: A way to make a queen lay.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 07:30:13 pm »
That's why we need more CO2 in the air.  For the queens and the trees...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 07:59:31 pm »
It may have something to do with the more CO2 the better the chance that the plants will produce flowers.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 03:26:02 pm »
We should give tax deductions to people who put more CO2 in the atmosphere for the trees and the bees. :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 05:39:10 pm »
We should give tax deductions to people who put more CO2 in the atmosphere for the trees and the bees. :)

... speaking only as an advocate for that ethos which an Apis.* colony owns, the problem buried in that proposal Michael is the weighting of reward over input beecomes even more skewed than it is already in developed countries - being the emitters would get even fatter offn the backs of the workers. As CO2 emission controls do erode the net profits for those "fat-cats" in the top 10% of a nations GDP,  there is at least one levelling tool of fiscal fairness ;-)

Cheers.

Bill

--
(edited emphasis added by author)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 05:57:09 pm »
I thought CO2 was used as a bee anaesthesia.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 06:29:45 pm »
Yes, Dallas you are 100% correct.  A side effect is increased laying, which is relative to inseminated queens, not the typical queen as used by beekeepers.  In trying to defeat varroa, I need to control genetics...  I have hygienic colonies that lose their qualities due in part to open breeding.  I want to maintain those qualities with controlled breeding to drones identifiable by specific marking visible to the naked eye.
Blessings

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 06:52:23 pm »
Eltalia, I swear you are a descendant from Shakespeare.  I always enjoy your post as you make me think, which is proving more difficult as the days pay little attention and pass me by just like me bees in dat dar apiry which is sumpton.
Blessings ol fella

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 02:39:05 am »
Eltalia, I swear you are a descendant from Shakespeare.

naaaah.... Jimmy Joyce, maybe. And only 'cos I am too shy to be of that
Behan lineage!
 :grins:

I always enjoy your post as you make me think, ... (edit)

Likewise mine (read) on Mr. Bush...a very deep man
indeed (respectfully).

On this occasion I read Michael as "taking the pi55" (leg pulling)
so I let go my anal grip on propriety to offer him the reminder bees are
communists... true communists!
Of course Michael may well chuckle he got a rise and resist biting
the shiny thing now left dangling in my retreat ;-))

Blessings ol fella

:tips hat:

Call me "Bill".. the tax man does, on each occassion
he writes ;-)

Cheerio...

Bill

(paragraph edit by author)

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 10:57:46 am »
Yes, Bill.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 11:53:14 am »
I couldn't agree more! 

Which reminds me.. time to rack the Christmas ale into the aging carboy and keg the Koelsch and get it carbonated.
 :cool:
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 02:41:42 pm »
I commute in a 99 Suburban. Y'all are welcome. ;)

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 09:35:45 am »

More CO2 fries the earth ... less freezes it.  I watched a program  on the end of the earth as we know it.  A rouge planet just passes by our solar system (doesn't hit earth) and pulls the earth's orbit elliptical.  The result is the earth would be hot like Venus and cold like Mars in one years time.  CO2 would be boiled away and life would cease to exits.
Another peril I watched is that sun flares would overcome our magnetic field and wipe out every electrical grid on the earth.  Cycle is every 11 years and we are coming up on this event.  The magnetic field of the earth that protects us from these flares is presently weakening.  Another thing about the earth I didn't know is that the north and south poles have flipped before.  Can you imagine how that would affect migration?
Another thing I didn't know is that there are people (thanks to governments) that are watching for these events 24-7.  I wonder if they will tells that we are all going to die in a short period of time?

Does anyone know why higher levels of CO2 encourages a queen to lay?  Is she relaxed and lets loose or is it stress and she thinks she has to produce before she dies?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it