Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Half Capped Frames  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Duffydog

• New Bee
Half Capped Frames
« on: August 18, 2017, 08:30:15 am »
I have a number of frames in my supers that are  half capped on one side and capped on the other side. These are frames that  were at the ends of about 5 supers. Should I scrape the wax and honey from one side and replace in the hives or just replace the entire frame in the hive. They would be very wet if I scrapped one side.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Half Capped Frames
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 11:22:10 am »
I have a number of frames in my supers that are  half capped on one side and capped on the other side. These are frames that  were at the ends of about 5 supers. Should I scrape the wax and honey from one side and replace in the hives or just replace the entire frame in the hive. They would be very wet if I scrapped one side.
Did you do a shake test. Does the nectar shake out of the frames?
First do a lite shake then, if nothing comes out, do a heavy shake. If nothing comes out , extract it.
If it comes out, give the frame as is, back to the bees.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Duffydog

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 11:37:46 am »
I have a digital refractometer and the uncapped frames are over 18.6 whereas capped frames are 18 or lower. I only use  9 frames in my supers so the sides that are capped are extremely thick. Hope the bees will finish their work.
Thanks

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 06:41:39 pm »
If the rest of the box is capped with the exception of the outside of the outside frames I would extract them. It will mix with the low moisture honey.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 10:29:59 am »
Duffy without a location it is hard to know what season you are in.  For me there is a lot of foraging left so I would not harvest until the box is completely filled and capped.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 08:41:20 am »
I do the shake test as well. I read on this forum that once the spring flow is over the bees won't cap the open cells. The thinking behind it was they will be consuming it soon so don't waste any energy on wax.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.