Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is the US a kakistocracy?  (Read 196 times)

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
Is the US a kakistocracy?
« on: August 08, 2017, 05:32:28 am »
Has the US become a kakistocracy?   I certainly hope not.  An oligarchy or even a theocracy would be preferable.  Of course a democracy even better ? but with the gerrymandering, voter suppression, corporate `citizens`, and foreign influence, I don`t see a strong current claim to this.

A kakistocracy ... is a state or country run by the worst, least qualified, or most unscrupulous citizens.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=kakistocracy&oq=kakistocracy&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l4.2191.5751.0.6931.2.2.0.0.0.0.351.461.0j1j0j1.2.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.2.458.xmum2AzBU30
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Is the US a kakistocracy?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 05:52:11 am »
Yes, I'm afraid it had become that. This new admin is now trying to correct that situation.

The snakes and 'gators sure are putting up a fight, though, as the swamp drains.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 08:03:38 am »
Great!  BTW - can you give a good example of a swamp being drained, or better yet already drained?  I like the meme - catchy sound and all, but have a hard time seeing the results.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 08:12:02 am »
Does the name Comey ring a bell?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 03:59:22 pm »
Ah yes ? thanks?  James Comey, followed by Sally Yates and then Preet Bharara - all law enforcement officials until President Trump fired them ? and they were all investigating Trump or his administration at the time of their firing.  Some swamp there. 

Darned, I do need to keep up.  It seems there is a rather long list of those monsters being kicked out of the swamp.

https://www.benzinga.com/news/17/05/9537463/every-person-in-the-white-house-whos-been-fired-or-quit-since-trump-took-office

Online gww

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 04:31:18 pm »
Hey, don't forget the mooche or does he count as only joining the swamp for nine days. :cool:
gww

Offline jvalentour

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 02:18:34 pm »
Beecan,

For those who care:  kak?is?toc?ra?cy
[k?kə st?krəssee]
NOUN

government by the most unscrupulous or unsuitable people, or a state governed by such people

You really need to see the swamp as an entity that has members from both parties as iddee and I do.  They enrich and empower themselves while pitting the voters against each other.  They typically live in the beltway while maintaining a cheap condo in their district.  Frequently they needn't bother to visit their district for reelection and the lemmings continue to put them back in power (because they vote for a R or D).

Gerrymandering goes on with both parties, you just hear the media complain about it because the Republicans hold the majority of the state houses.  If it were the other way around gerrymandering would be fine with the Democrats.  Gerrymandering has been a part of American politics for a very long time.

As far as the investigations into Trump, everyone with a brain knows they are a farce.  Dem leadership has advised their party to drop the topic because they are afraid it will backfire on them (discredit their integrity).  The only people running with the Russian story are those who are bait clicking or fund raising on it.  These accusations against Trump are merely a distraction to prevent him from governing or prosecuting members of the previous ruling group.  Julian Assange was once asked why he didn't release dirt on Trump as well as HClinton.  He replied that with Trump everything is already public.  Go figure.

Foreign influence?  Try the Clinton Foundation, which probably has its tentacles into nearly everyone in both parties.
Foreign influence?  Try Tony Podesta.

You might consider Donald Trump a member of the swamp, just because he is a billionaire I suppose.  I tend to think of him as an outsider, a JFK Democrat type.  He doesn't need money, he is beholden financially to no one.  I think if his party hadn't gone so far left he would have run as a Democrat.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 03:57:03 pm »
Beecan,

For those who care:  kak?is?toc?ra?cy
[k?kə st?krəssee]
NOUN

government by the most unscrupulous or unsuitable people, or a state governed by such people

You really need to see the swamp as an entity that has members from both parties as iddee and I do.  They enrich and empower themselves while pitting the voters against each other.  They typically live in the beltway while maintaining a cheap condo in their district.  Frequently they needn't bother to visit their district for reelection and the lemmings continue to put them back in power (because they vote for a R or D).

Gerrymandering goes on with both parties, you just hear the media complain about it because the Republicans hold the majority of the state houses.  If it were the other way around gerrymandering would be fine with the Democrats.  Gerrymandering has been a part of American politics for a very long time.

As far as the investigations into Trump, everyone with a brain knows they are a farce.  Dem leadership has advised their party to drop the topic because they are afraid it will backfire on them (discredit their integrity).  The only people running with the Russian story are those who are bait clicking or fund raising on it.  These accusations against Trump are merely a distraction to prevent him from governing or prosecuting members of the previous ruling group.  Julian Assange was once asked why he didn't release dirt on Trump as well as HClinton.  He replied that with Trump everything is already public.  Go figure.

Foreign influence?  Try the Clinton Foundation, which probably has its tentacles into nearly everyone in both parties.
Foreign influence?  Try Tony Podesta.

You might consider Donald Trump a member of the swamp, just because he is a billionaire I suppose.  I tend to think of him as an outsider, a JFK Democrat type.  He doesn't need money, he is beholden financially to no one.  I think if his party hadn't gone so far left he would have run as a Democrat.

I can't remember the last time I voted for somebody who won. A hate to admit this but it might have been Spitzer... When I do vote for somebody who wins he turns out to be kind of sleazy. So I usually wright in somebody. I never vote for an incumbent unless they are not running for another term. I wrote in David Paterson for governor because he not so blind to see that we needed to get our fiscal house in order.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 02:25:14 pm »
Of course a democracy even better

no, it is not.

Here is what we have become:  We are a country ignoring our law, run by entrenched pols who will do whatever they need to do to stay in power.  We are a country to believes laws are made by courts, rather than legislated.  Sadly, we are a country where the majority of the people, not without reason, believe their votes don't count; at the same time happy to turn over to the government control of their day to day lives. 
We are more and more a country run by a central power rather than run locally and in the best interests of our local needs. 

How do we change that?  I fear we don't.  Too many people believe that the government acts in their best interest and is there to protect them from themselves.  Too many lazy people who would rather have the government "fix" things. 

?Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.?

― George Orwell, 1984

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 02:33:20 am »
Of course a democracy even better

no, it is not.

Here is what we have become:  We are a country ignoring our law, run by entrenched pols who will do whatever they need to do to stay in power.  We are a country to believes laws are made by courts, rather than legislated.  Sadly, we are a country where the majority of the people, not without reason, believe their votes don't count; at the same time happy to turn over to the government control of their day to day lives. 
We are more and more a country run by a central power rather than run locally and in the best interests of our local needs. 

How do we change that?  I fear we don't.  Too many people believe that the government acts in their best interest and is there to protect them from themselves.  Too many lazy people who would rather have the government "fix" things.

While I agree in general with what you wrote - I suspect the baddies have more to do with Citizens United, the religious right, gerrymandering, and voter supression than it does with ineffective or over-reaching government.