Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The stupidity of some legislation  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
The stupidity of some legislation
« on: August 01, 2017, 09:52:55 pm »
In a previous thread I asked about raising quail. I got these quail from a sergeant in the New York State Police. He got a permit for his and put my property on it because he will release them here to train his dog. The stupidity of New York is that we can kill these birds any way we please as long as we don't shoot them. To shoot them we have to wait until season. Can someone please tell me a good reason for this? On the DEC's website the season map only shows Ulster county south and Long Island. There are no wild quail around that might be shot. I have not released any yet... I doubt I have much to worry about but several years ago the justice of the peace who performed the services at my wedding told the conservation officer in court "Marlin, it's a good thing you had heart surgery, people were really wondering if you have one." I think he has retired by now... At least I hope so...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Re: The stupidity of some legislation
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 10:37:11 pm »
The father of one of my employees raises quail just south of Lake Erie.
I can try and find more info if you are interested.  I know he used a pen, them released to the wild.

For the daycare I own I rented a incubator from a firm called Rent A Chicken.  Nice science exhibit and hands on for the kids.  Seems like they offered quail eggs too.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 09:42:46 pm »
I raised day old chicks. I'm not sure if I want to inculcate eggs. It probably would be cheaper...
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 12:43:17 am »
Eric,
Only if you figure out all of the secrets. We loan our incubator to a teacher and provide how ever many eggs she wants.  She in tern gives us all of the chicks she hatches in her classroom. Out of about 30 eggs in the last group, we got 2 chicks, one of which was a rooster.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 11:56:10 pm »
Eric,
Only if you figure out all of the secrets. We loan our incubator to a teacher and provide how ever many eggs she wants.  She in tern gives us all of the chicks she hatches in her classroom. Out of about 30 eggs in the last group, we got 2 chicks, one of which was a rooster.
Jim
Does your incubator auto turn? And did she have kids open it? I would think that they would set and forget and have better results than that. Unless kids played with it. What kind of eggs?

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 09:27:19 am »
With chicken eggs not tested for fertility when put in, I get about 50 percent hatch over the last six times I have done it.  I turn the eggs three times a day.  My hens in the house also get about fifty percent though a couple of times they have gotten lower when the mother went to the wrong nest and we didn't catch it in time.  If I was incubating cause I thought it was going to be cheeper, I would want it to be quite a bit cheeper then buying chicks.
Even with chicks you have a misshap sometimes and lose one or two.  Some are weak and i had a snake eat one this year and one drowned. 

I have never dealt with quail.
Good luck
gww

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 08:11:07 pm »
Our incubators have automatic turners and auto temp controls.  She does candle the eggs at 7 days and 14 days old. The kids are not allowed to open the incubator.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 11:03:35 pm »
Our incubators have automatic turners and auto temp controls.  She does candle the eggs at 7 days and 14 days old. The kids are not allowed to open the incubator.
Jim
Have you tried it? What was your success rate? Just because the kids are not "allowed" to open the incubator does not mean that they don't. When my sister was in first grade they hatched chicken chicks. My mom made the mistake of saying that she could be entered into a drawing to keep one (figuring she would never win.) Mom new it was bad when my sister got off the bus with a chirping box. She named in Sunrise. Mom called it Stupid Chicken. It would attack the dogs. The following fall we gave it to a local chicken from. They had a dog attack and the only reason they didn't loose all the chickens was because Sunrise attacked back!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 06:07:39 am »
Back to the OP, stupid legislation.

In 3 states, I know, and likely more, try to build a dune buggy or other ""car"". It is required to have windshield wipers, but not required to have a windshield.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 07:14:18 am »
Eric,
Yes we have raised several clutches. We usually hatched up to 50 percent. You have to keep close tabs on the water in the bottom of the box.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 09:30:52 pm »
Back to the OP, stupid legislation.

In 3 states, I know, and likely more, try to build a dune buggy or other ""car"". It is required to have windshield wipers, but not required to have a windshield.
Well, you have to wipe the rain off... The... Well, you have to wipe the rain off... I was going to have a snarky comment... I got nothing....

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 09:33:49 pm »
Eric,
Yes we have raised several clutches. We usually hatched up to 50 percent. You have to keep close tabs on the water in the bottom of the box.
Jim
Perhaps water was the problem with the school class. 50% seems reasonable.

anything