Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What did I see???  (Read 903 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
What did I see???
« on: August 01, 2017, 04:19:24 pm »
I caught a swarm about 3 weeks ago. The behavior of the swarm indicated it was queen right. It started getting robbed out so I checked it a couple of times - no sign of a queen. So it got down to about a frame of bees covering one side. I took it apart shook it on the ground in front of where it was on the stand. All the bees returned to the spot on the stand where the hive was located. They started easing over to the hive next to it then they went to fanning. I'm thinking, "I'm fixing to see a lot of dead bees." They marched in just like a swarm would with no fighting or resistance from the other hive.

I will check this hive soon to be sure it's got a queen. So I'm wondering how could this be? Here's what I think could be the answer. This hive was being robbed out daily by it's neighbor. Since the bees were going in the nuc maybe they either got use to one another or the scent of their queen or hive was transferred over to this bunch. When they walked through the door their scent was familiar. Don't know just guessing.

What'd you think Iddee?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: What did I see???
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 06:52:43 pm »
GSF, I don't have answers.  I call it PASSIVE robbing when the bees don't fight.  Easy to spot as the robbers leave the hive being robbed with elongated abdomen, full stomachs.  Bees leaving a hive usually have short (empty) stomachs.  I've seen bees tear apart each other, relentless almost cruel behavior.  Then I have seen rogue queens march into a queen right hive no problems and take over the hive.  The original marked queen, a good layer, cannot be found, I assume killed by the rogue.  Go figure???

Maybe Iddee and his decades of experience will have some answers. Glad your health is improving Iddee.

anything