Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hasta  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Hasta
« on: July 31, 2017, 08:58:17 pm »
I have a lot of hosta. I love it. It's hard to kill, grows like weeds, and has pretty flowers that bloom for a long time. I see all sorts of bumblebees working it but not honey bees. Does anyone know why not?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Hasta
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 11:33:50 pm »
Probably same reason my girls didn't work my sunflowers but bumble bees did.  I think the bees have a mind of their own.  My wife still laughs when I say I need more bees so they will work the sunflowers.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 08:54:42 pm »
Probably same reason my girls didn't work my sunflowers but bumble bees did.  I think the bees have a mind of their own.  My wife still laughs when I say I need more bees so they will work the sunflowers.
My wife thinks I spend more time with the bees than I spend with her... I am just trying to build up my apiary with nucs like Michael Palmer. We will see what happens in the spring. I do smell honey when I walk by my hives. Always a good sign.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 11:11:20 pm »
I don't think their tongues are long enough to harvest.
Same with honeysuckle.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 01:18:10 pm »
I don't think their tongues are long enough to harvest.
Same with honeysuckle.
I have seen bees on honeysuckle. But I think what you are saying is that we need to genetically modify bees so they have longer tongues...

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 10:05:13 pm »
The only time I have seen honey bees on honeysuckle is after bumblebees have chewed an access hole at the base of the flower so that they can get right to the nectar - pretty cool to watch!

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 11:49:32 am »
Are there other varieties of honeysuckle that the bees can work? Maybe that is what I was seeing. I think my girls are working the goldenrod pretty good now. I can smell the honey when I walk by the hives.

anything