Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pepper bush is blooming and bees are at the humming bird feeders  (Read 1838 times)

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
Following my post about my hives not gaining any weight and no honey in the super, the bees are bringing in lots of pollen, I can see the pepper bush blooming on the other side of the brook, and yet for the first time the bees are all over our hummingbird feeders...?!?!

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Pepper bush is blooming and bees are at the humming bird feeders
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 04:07:30 pm »
They found the feeders first(?) You might could take the feeders down for a couple of days and that may redirect them.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 12:00:02 am »
In 5 years they have never bothered the hummingbird feeders - it clearly seems that they are not finding sufficient nectar in the environment, but I'm stumped about what is going wrong this year.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 01:11:22 pm »
Just because a plant produces flowers it does not mean they produce nectar. Our gall berry season was really weak this year.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 05:02:13 pm »
In 5 years they have never bothered the hummingbird feeders - it clearly seems that they are not finding sufficient nectar in the environment, but I'm stumped about what is going wrong this year.
The summer has been too darn cold and rainy so the plants went right to seed but not large yields.  The only thing that is growing by leaps and bounds is cold weather crops and grass.  I see a lot of golden rod now but it isn't sticky.  So lots of pollen but no nectar.  It could be a bad year for my bees even though they look pretty good right now.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 09:02:54 pm »
Bees here busy on the abundant Japanese knot grass. seemingly for nectar, and clematis, seemingly for pollen (they sip at the knot grass and just run busily over the clematis stamens). I have started to feed 2:1 as a precaution and to boost hive weight heading into winter.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 09:34:46 pm »
Bees here busy on the abundant Japanese knot grass.
It is usually a good nectar here too but if it was coming in your feed would be ignored.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 10:15:16 pm »
No, they are sucking down the 2:1... Reports from all around this area is little honey production and hungry hives... :cry:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 08:48:32 am »
No, they are sucking down the 2:1... Reports from all around this area is little honey production and hungry hives... :cry:
That is what I said.  If there is nectar they will ignore the feed if there is no nectar they will take the feed.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 09:34:04 pm »
That is what I said.  If there is nectar they will ignore the feed if there is no nectar they will take the feed.

I was agreeing with you - I probably should have started with 'Yes...." instead of "No,..."! :smile:

anything