Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Repeal of the ACA is dead. They should get to work on tax reform now  (Read 1678 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
Re: Repeal of the ACA is dead. They should get to work on tax reform now
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2017, 11:12:28 am »
So, BWallace,  back to your OP;
My thought is that there is no chance of any meaningful tax reform as long as the DemoRats and RepubliCons continue attempts to out-sleaze each other.

I agree with you there. We do need to lower our corporate tax rate and I am in favor of a VAT tax. Then perhaps we could also look at some middle tax cuts to help out the working Guy. Just a thought and it is something I do think reasonable people could eventually agree upon.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2017, 11:22:38 am »
One of the major reasons why the United States is a world power is that it has a written constitution that can be changed as the world evolves.  We are certainly not smarter then the other people around the world but we have created a country that has rights that other people want.
Yes the constitution can be changed... But it must be changed via the process defined in Article V. Unfortunately, ever since FDR threatened to pack the court all three branches of government have ignored the constitution when it was convenient. Case in point our federal drug laws. If the constitution had to be changed to prohibit alcohol in 1919, then we should have a constitutional amendment prohibiting drugs. Currently our federal drug laws are unconstitutional but that doesn't stop them from existing and filling our prisons.

You paid for your septic.  How about your phone and your electric, your mail?  There was a time when city folk had these things but private industry did not think it profitable to go the the end of the line where people were more sparsly populated and so those people had do get wind mills and use oil lamps.  It was gov involvement that made america more then a third world country where unlike a place like colubia where the drug cartels build little compounds with all the anuities but the rest of the population around them lives in squaller.

You are mistaking what made America America. It was the government protecting individual civil liberties and property rights. I still don't have high speed internet and unless I pay a lot of money I never will get it at my house. I choose to live in the country. I could live in the city if I wanted more services. Country life is more important to me than many of the other services that are available in the city. I don't disagree that there are definitely things that the government can do to help facilitate infrastructure for those services. My problem is that the government has elected officials that buy votes with tax dollars and it will bankrupt us.

All these things that the gov got involved in brought the haves and the have nots living standard up to the levels we are used to today.  I know all about the (I just paid for a septic).  My grandma was poor and it was an out house and a hand pump for water and when you took a bath it was a lot of pumping and heating water on a stove.
My sister's mother-in-law until last winter when she fell and broke her hip (emptying her chamber pot) had an outhouse and no hot water in her house. The issue here is choice. Rob's mother chose to live that way. I won't comment about how many bank accounts she has close to the $250,000 FDIC limit. When her husband had dementia and needed to be put in a nursing home they kept saying... "You need to apply for medicare it takes a while to take effect..." she kept saying "We don't qualify..." She and her husband saved their entire lives so that they could take care of themselves. They had the money. Nobody believed them that they had the money because they lived like paupers but that was their choice.

You can have any belief you want but it might be a stretch to say ace has been totally debunked depending on what the person who now has a higher standard of living compared to what it once was before the gov got involved.  I personaly think it is better to flip a switch for light and turn on a fauset for a bath and being able to do this because the gov got involved. 

I never used the word 'totally' with regard to debunking ace. Perhaps I was more incorrect about him being the only other side of the argument.

I tend to agree with you about flipping a switch for light but why should the Amish have to pay to subsidize my electricity? Worse yet, I can only speak for New Yuk but here we are going to have a major power outage that could be avoided. Unfortunately, rather than maintain the lines and cut trees back it has become more cost effective to wait until there is an emergency rather than do regular maintenance. I won't be surprised if we have a major fire because of wires arcing on trees because NYSEG refuses to trim the trees. It hasn't been an issue yet because it has been very rainy but if we have a dry spell... It won't be good. This is a direct result of government interference. When there is an emergency, the government gives kickbacks to get power restored quickly. Why should they pay to maintain the lines when they get paid to repair them? I was out of power for 5 days once when the only thing that was wrong was a blown fuse. Unfortunately because a branch came down and touched the lines blowing the fuse it only effected me. There were thousands of people else ware that got power restored quickly. When power goes out for me I back the tractor into my garage, hook up the PTO to the generator flip the breaker on the pole as long as I don't mind listening to the tractor roar and buying diesel fuel I have power. It's a wonderful thing. The problem is when I have to share the generator with my parents. Of course, the last time we were without power I didn't have power at work either so I came home from work and my dad claimed the generator wasn't working... Worked great when I flipped the circuit breaker.
Some things are just to big for individuals to do well at with out the gov help.

Perhaps... But lets think about things like the space shuttle. How much did the space shuttle cost? How much does it cost spaceX to launch? The question is who decides what is important?

I hate infringements as much as the next guy and want what I want with out oversite.  I don't want to get a permit to build something that I am paying for.  I don't want a gov inspection before I can move in or to have to get an occupancy permit to move some where.  So I am not saying that a line does not have to be drawn on how much involvement in our lives is too much.  I don't think the case can be made that everything the gov does is bad though.  There is a lot of bad and a lot of good and bad is bad no matter who does it just as good is good.
Cheers
gww
The problem is that more good will come from profit and greed rather than political decree and force. Government interference ignores this fact. Yes government has a roll to play, but that roll should be limited.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Online gww

• Field Bee
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2017, 03:43:09 pm »
Eric B....
I have a feeling that our views may actually be pretty close on a lot of things.  I agree with you on the drug laws.  I also live in the country where nobody cares.  I have my own well and septic and raised hell when they passed a law wanting to put a meter on a private well (luckily the law was recinded).  I think the power companys (and gov) have did what most of america did, they outsource the tree trimming rather then keep a full time crew that makes it to retirement.  This attitude is why I get toyota advertizing when they send me notification to renue my lisence.  I will be honest that as a tax payer, I would rather pay for my notifications then have them send me advertisements from my competitors (I was an auto worker) so they can save money.  I guess it is perspective on wether saving the money is a good deal for my elected reps to make a decision like that.

I still think that as screwed up as health care is in america, that getting rid of the insurance providers and putting that money towards a single payer plan makes the most sense for americans including those who are takeing care of them selves but having to pay more cause the hospital is going to treat everyone and will charge $100 to the guy paying for an asprin.  If it aint going to be fair no matter what, I might as well be unfair in the cheapest manner.

I am just an uneducated hick hermit that still has free antena tv and does not pay much attention to what is going on and pretty much just do what I want when I want regaurdless of what might be a rule (Though I try to cause harm to no one).
Cheers
gww

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2017, 08:52:06 pm »
Eric, if you want to live in a little world that is your choice and it is fine with me.  I like the country life.  I came from the country life.  But I realize that what ever little world you live in it is part of the global world.  You can't isolate yourself from the global world no matter how isolated you are from it.  For instance if you really wanted to isolate yourself from the global world it is likely you would starve or freeze to death in less than two years.  You are part of the global world whether you accept it or not.  FYI the Amish are part of the global world too and most are totally dependent on it.  I see them in Walmarts all the time.  And I rarely visit Walmarts.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2017, 09:05:30 pm »
My thought is that there is no chance of any meaningful tax reform as long as the DemoRats and RepubliCons continue attempts to out-sleaze each other.

Well Hops that is the real problem.  When one has power over the other (no matter which side you are on) the average citizen is going to lose.  The real solution is to eliminate both but how is that going to happen when they have to approve it?  Everyone keeps saying put congress on the same medical plan as the one they vote for.  I see that about as likely as one of my sisters being the next Virgin Mary.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2017, 09:13:04 pm »
The VA is single payer. Enough said.
I also try to help people when I can. My wife's shoulder injury was because a couple miles from our house someone slid off the road on black ice. We were on our way home and stopped. I offered to pull them out with my tractor. We got home and I went to get the tractor and my wife was going to get my boots and mittens. I pulled them out and they came over and said she was hurt. I can't say that I would ever go to UHS orthopedic after this be she is better now.
I am cerious as to how they could possibly meter well water. They would need access to the house to install the meter. Access that any smart person would deny.

I went to post that and ace has posted so in response to ace... I believe in trade and being part of the global community. I bought queens from an Amish beek in Morrisville. We have a lot of Amish families around town and the Guilford Lake Convenient Store even has a hitching post. I think I could probably get by longer than 2 years however. Plenty of trees to burn for heat... I heat my house entirely with would. I have a pretty good garden and I have plenty of wild game if need be. I am sure the DEC would complain but they don't need to know.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Online gww

• Field Bee
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2017, 12:23:08 am »
Eric
I can only go from my experiance but from a recipiant position except for one thing the guys I know retired from the military have better insurance then I have as well as other perks like tax free food if bought at a px.  The one thing that is worse is that most of them have to drive 70 miles one way or the other where my care is usually only about fourty miles away.  Cost to the person being cared for is better for the military then my care.  I pretty much avoid doctors though and except when hospitalized don't go.  I am not being big headed about this and am smart enough to know that I have been lucky health wise and this has helped keep me from needing a doctor.  I get sick, I lay around moaning untill it goes away.  If I die because I didn't get my 50 year old screenings, then I die.  But if I needed it like some people do and was not as lucky as I have been so far, I would like to be taken care of at a reasonable price and what I see with those old army guys I know, they do better then some that I know that don't have as good of insurance and have to decide on thier medicine or food and heat.
There will always be things that need to be made better when things slide but what I see with my own eyes tells me a differrent story then what you aparrently see.

It could be worse for people who live further away, I only know my area.
Cheers
gww

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2017, 12:30:42 am »
. Consider this, perhaps law enforcement should only be available to taxpayers.

Since these things are not done by the federal government, this is a non issue. 

but I am not sure it limmits what it can do "for" you.

It limits what the federal government can do.  Full stop.  All other things belong to the states.  Unfortunately, Congress has construed certain things like the interstate commerce clause, to mean they can meddle in anything they choose, and because people like stuff, people have not stopped them.

One of the major reasons why the United States is a world power is that it has a written constitution that can be changed as the world evolves.

It can be changed as needed.  Most of the time it seems people find it easier to just ignore it and do as they please.  If we do not follow the law, or legally amend the law, we have no law. 

There was a time when city folk had these things but private industry did not think it profitable to go the the end of the line where people were more sparsly populated and so those people had do get wind mills and use oil lamps. 

Part of the New Deal.  We could have done without that!!  But you are talking about the REA which made loans to companies at little or no interest so that they would run lines and not have to worry about recouping cost.  It can fairly be called a public-private partnership and tax neutral.  I don't have a problem with public/private partnerships sometimes as long as they are not costing the taxpayer money.  We probably need one right now to upgrade the grid which should be a much higher priority than it seems to be.  It's old, vulnerable, and taking it out makes us a 3rd world country in a split second. 

We do need to lower our corporate tax rate and I am in favor of a VAT tax.

Bad idea.  The VAT is a drag on the economy and it adds cost all the way along the manufacturing line.  It makes everything cost more and is essentially a regressive tax as it hits low income harder than anyone. 
?Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.?

― George Orwell, 1984

Online gww

• Field Bee
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2017, 12:59:42 am »
Kathy
Part of the New Deal.  We could have done without that!!  But you are talking about the REA which made loans to companies at little or no interest so that they would run lines and not have to worry about recouping cost.  It can fairly be called a public-private partnership and tax neutral.  I don't have a problem with public/private partnerships sometimes as long as they are not costing the taxpayer money.  We probably need one right now to upgrade the grid which should be a much higher priority than it seems to be.  It's old, vulnerable, and taking it out makes us a 3rd world country in a split second.

I agree that the grid,sewer systems and water systems that are old need helped but do not like the trend of privatizing all these systems.  There are countries that privatized thier water sources and the people living in them couldn't afford to have water and it was made against the law to collect rain water just like some states have decided.  I think at one time colorado had something on rain water collection and detroit was trying to sell its water works to a private firm.

Some things go too far.

Eric
Some clean water act was why they were going to put meters on private wells.  It is easy to say, no you can't come on my property but if they make it a law that in this case they can come on your property, then they will even if they shouldn't.  The snuck the law in and had done appointed two overseers but luckily for once, it stired up a big enough hornest nest when people found out that they recinded it.  Only two poeple in the whole house of represenatives voted no on it and during meetings after it passed they tried to keep it but fix some things but in the end just backed down and got rid of it.

Some things I would rather pay for then save money on.  I hate when you call some place and get a recording that ask for all your info so they can direct you anywhere but to where you might be able to talk to some one who might be held accountable for what is being said.  If it is decided that taxes are going to pay for something there are times where paying what it takes to do it right is a better deal then nickle and dimeing to the point where you are paying but getting nothing.
Cheers
gww

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2017, 08:48:59 am »
gww
I am not a lawyer but even as bad as the supreme court is I can't believe that they would just ignore the plain text of...
Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Any good lawyer would get that overturned.
Kathy
With regard to taxes... I can't for the life of me understand why this is such a hard thing to do... Repeal the 16th amendment and then first: CUT SPENDING to proper roles of the federal government. Then if needed impose a small flat consumption tax on all non-food items. For those who think that the rich won't "Pay their fair share"... Poor people don't buy yachts and jets. This is something that bothered me a lot during the campaign. Trump's America first ideas sound great but nothing has brought more people out of poverty than free trade. It is simple to get our economy booming... fix our tax monstrosity. Our current tax is ridiculous

from taxfoundation.org
"The cost of complying with U.S. business income taxes accounts for 36 percent of the total cost of the entire tax code, at $147 billion. Complying with the individual income tax costs another $99 billion annually."
At the end of the Shrub Jr. era/beginning of Nobama era there was all sorts of crap about economic stimulus packages. I just came up with a $246 billion stimulus packages just by fixing the tax code.
The even scarier part of what was said on the taxfoundation.org's page is the number of man hours spent on compliance. Just think if those man hours were spent of something productive.
Here is a link to the taxfoundation
https://taxfoundation.org/compliance-costs-irs-regulations/

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2017, 09:17:23 am »
Plenty of trees to burn for heat... I heat my house entirely with would.
What would you do with the smoke?  If you were independent it would have to stay in your world.  You wouldn't make it two years.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online gww

• Field Bee
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2017, 10:21:13 am »
Eric
If I was a lawyer, I would not think they could seize personal property even though you have not went to court or been proven guilty of anything but they can and though the had stopped doing it for awhile it has just been reinstated for them to start again.

So innocent untill proven guilty now means when they take your stuff you are fourced to go to court and prove you are innocent to get it back rather then them having the burden to prove you are guilty.  Why would you think any lawyer could stop them from putting on a meter on a private well if congress made a law that you had to have one.  I am doubting that even with this supreeme court that you would have much hope and even with hope it would take 7 years after the deed is done to work through the system to get to said supreem court.  I have those same beliefs on searches and innocent untill proven guilty but having beliefs does not always add up to real life. 
Cheers
gww

Offline Hops Brewster

• House Bee
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2017, 10:28:27 am »

Well Hops that is the real problem.  When one has power over the other (no matter which side you are on) the average citizen is going to lose.  The real solution is to eliminate both but how is that going to happen when they have to approve it?  Everyone keeps saying put congress on the same medical plan as the one they vote for.  I see that about as likely as one of my sisters being the next Virgin Mary.
We can certainly agree on that point Ace.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2017, 12:08:34 pm »
Some clean water act was why they were going to put meters on private wells.

Yup, that was the expansion of the EPA clean water act to control ALL water rather than what they originally had, which was navigable waterways.  they took out the navigable and it was just waterways.  That essentially gave them control over all water everywhere and since your well water comes out of the ground and probably out of an aquifer or river, it belongs to them.  In the same way they can access your property if power lines cross it, they can access your property to access their water.....at least that is their theory.

The metering of wells is usually a state or local thing.  They tried that here too.  It's not fair that I get "free" water.  Between the electric bill and the 15,000 per well for the last two we put in, I wonder how long it is before I enjoy the free part   :cheesy:

It's currently held up in court so not being strictly enforced.  Congress has been working to overturn it, but as far as I know they have not managed it yet.  Trump wants it gone. 

With regard to taxes... I can't for the life of me understand why this is such a hard thing to do

It's not hard.  They don't want to do it.  The more stuff they have their fingers in, the more power. 
?Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.?

― George Orwell, 1984

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2017, 12:15:19 pm »
Plenty of trees to burn for heat... I heat my house entirely with would.
What would you do with the smoke?  If you were independent it would have to stay in your world.  You wouldn't make it two years.
I have no idea what you are trying to say... You seem to think that because I like to live in the country and I don't think I should have to pay taxes to support things that I do not approve that somehow that makes it so that I want my own bubble with just me in it? That's crazy. I like living in the country yes. But I don't get the bubble connection at all.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2017, 12:17:32 pm »
Eric
If I was a lawyer, I would not think they could seize personal property even though you have not went to court or been proven guilty of anything but they can and though the had stopped doing it for awhile it has just been reinstated for them to start again.

So innocent untill proven guilty now means when they take your stuff you are fourced to go to court and prove you are innocent to get it back rather then them having the burden to prove you are guilty.  Why would you think any lawyer could stop them from putting on a meter on a private well if congress made a law that you had to have one.  I am doubting that even with this supreeme court that you would have much hope and even with hope it would take 7 years after the deed is done to work through the system to get to said supreem court.  I have those same beliefs on searches and innocent untill proven guilty but having beliefs does not always add up to real life. 
Cheers
gww
I guess I can't argue with that either. But it does go back to what I originally said... The purpose of government is to protect individual civil liberties... The problem is that the government does everything in its power to trample them.

Online gww

• Field Bee
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2017, 12:19:00 pm »
Kathy
Congress has been working to overturn it, but as far as I know they have not managed it yet.

What amazes me in my repulican ran state is that before the public found out about it, it was voted on and passed and only two represenative out of all of them voted no.  One was a democrate that I later helped in a senate race which he won for one term.  The only reason I helped him was because of that one vote he made.

We did have some town halls after it was passed that the local represenatives were present at and my old man got ours to agree in front of everyone to submit a bill for repeal.  He was saying just fix but when put on the spot for an answer yes or no, he said yes and did follow through.  I guess he at least deserves credit for that.  He was a republican.

Good luck on your appeals cause when one of your well pumps goes out and nobody helps you pay for it, your free water will still not be free.
Cheers
gww

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2017, 12:45:28 pm »

With regard to taxes... I can't for the life of me understand why this is such a hard thing to do

It's not hard.  They don't want to do it.  The more stuff they have their fingers in, the more power.
And there lies the problem. I am seriously considering running for New Yuck State Assembly. My reason for running is because I absolutely despise my current representative and for at least the last 2 elections he was the only name on the ballot and after writing in None of these for the last 3 elections I think I should actually do something serious about it. I doubt I will win but at least there will be another name on the ballot. After 26 years with Cliff Crotch (yes I intentionally spelled his name wrong...) we have a new minimum wage hike, and the New York UnSAFE act. In Cliff's defense he did vote against the minimum wage and he called out the governor for doing some stupid study on it wasting even more tax dollars. But where was he last March then the governor not only took plows from around here to NYC where they didn't get any snow and we got 3 feet and then he took had them plow link field so that he could fly in and take trucks off the road to be a backdrop for a press conference. Crouch should have slammed him for it. We need to open the airport so that governor Andy can fly in even though the roads are closed? Whats up with that Andy? All because he wants to look good politically because he wants to be president. That is a scary thought.

I believe in term limits. I would support an amendment that says "No member of congress shall serve for more than 6 years in any 12 year span and upon leaving office no previous member of congress shall be a paid lobbyist for a period of 6 years." If I did somehow manage to win I would push real hard for an Article V convention to propose that constitutional amendment as well as repealing the 16th and 17th amendments and balancing the budget. Congress needs to be forced to do their jobs.

Then again... I also would push to change the state constitution so that the state legislature shall only meet for 1 month biannually and legislative pay shall be $5,000/year. Perhaps if they had to wait 23 months for a legislative session we would not have had the knee jerk UnSAFE act following the Connecticut school shooting.

Offline herbhome

• House Bee
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2017, 06:31:40 pm »
. Consider this, perhaps law enforcement should only be available to taxpayers.

Since these things are not done by the federal government, this is a non issue. 

Kathy,
I'm sure you realize the federal government has a huge law enforcement presence.
Neill

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2017, 07:50:34 pm »
The only reason I helped him was because of that one vote he made.

I have voted for democrats in my state when the fell on the correct side of things.  It happens sometimes :-D

Then again... I also would push to change the state constitution so that the state legislature shall only meet for 1 month biannually and legislative pay shall be $5,000/year. Perhaps if they had to wait 23 months for a legislative session we would not have had the knee jerk UnSAFE act following the Connecticut school shooting.

I like the bi-annual state legislature, but be aware that they can still sneak stuff in.  If you ever get that legislation be sure that you severely limit what they can call an emergency or it becomes to your state what the interstate commerce law is to congress, an excuse to do whatever, whenever. 

This would also be my solution to the federal congress.  Rather than term limits, time limits.  3 months per year to do the work of the people and the rest of the time at home where they belong.  There is no good reason for them to be in Washington as much as they are, fly back and forth at our expense whenever they want, etc. 

I'm sure you realize the federal government has a huge law enforcement presence.

It does, and again, we have let them get away with it.  Consider all the crap added since 9/11.  I don't have a problem with going after bad guys, but this, again, has become an excuse for doing whatever they want.  Worse, the legal entities of the states have been regulated, taken over, and interfered with in the name of "civil rights".  States like the federal money and so give over their rights when there is a threat from the feds to obey or lose funds.

Except in the case of sanctuary areas...we'll see how threatening to take funds from them works out.  I don't know why any of these state agencies are getting federal funds in the first place.

― George Orwell, 1984