Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rotating Frames?  (Read 1845 times)

Offline manfmlox

• New Bee
Rotating Frames?
« on: July 28, 2017, 07:58:34 am »
Good morning all!

So I have a hive with 2 deeps (10 frame). Both deeps have great comb draw on 3 thru 8 with one side fully drawn on 2 and 9. All these frames are loaded with brood and/or honey and pollen. 1 and 10 however remain completely undrawn in both deeps. Some time back I used a sharpie marker to number my frames. (mostly because I'm getting old and I would loose track of which frame I had just pulled and inspected...lol)

So my question is: Should I rotate the frame positions and, if so, what positions should I rotate them to?

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Rotating Frames?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 08:07:02 am »
This time of year if you're not feeding, I'd leave them alone.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline beebad

• New Bee
  • Keeping Bees is not like having an Aquarium
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 09:55:05 am »
The work from the sunny side of the hive as you know. They typically chimney so they neglect the frames on the sides to an extent. I have mediums and if I see they arent filling things to my liking I help them out by moving ( rotating ) a few frames inward so they fill them out...BUTT, we are in a dearthy situation up here in NOVA, so I am not sure how much drawing they are inclined to do. If you are feeding  they have to store stuff someplace and that will help

The other thing is, bees sorta know what to do, we help them with the bigger stuff....
Good morning all!

So I have a hive with 2 deeps (10 frame). Both deeps have great comb draw on 3 thru 8 with one side fully drawn on 2 and 9. All these frames are loaded with brood and/or honey and pollen. 1 and 10 however remain completely undrawn in both deeps. Some time back I used a sharpie marker to number my frames. (mostly because I'm getting old and I would loose track of which frame I had just pulled and inspected...lol)

So my question is: Should I rotate the frame positions and, if so, what positions should I rotate them to?

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 08:05:51 pm »
"So I have a hive with 2 deeps (10 frame). Both deeps have great comb draw on 3 thru 8 with one side fully drawn on 2 and 9. All these frames are loaded with brood and/or honey and pollen. 1 and 10 however remain completely undrawn in both deeps."

Pretty much par for the course, aa others have said, leave them bee this year. Next major flow you could swap #1+2+9+10 into the top deep, moving any brood frames there down to the bottom deep and placing a queen excluder above it.
Standard stuff regardless of location, I reckon.

Cheers.

Bill

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 01:06:03 pm »
If you are intending to use a QE I would suggest not changing frame positions.  Normally drones are raised on the outside frames.  Once brood has been raised in a cell it is harder for the bees to tear them down and resize them for worker brood.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 02:01:50 pm »
I just figure they know best and will build out the outside frames when they want. In the spring feed and watch when they fill them out it is time for another box.