Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: honey supers after/before varroa treatment  (Read 1246 times)

Offline davers

• New Bee
honey supers after/before varroa treatment
« on: July 24, 2017, 05:04:45 pm »
What do most of you do when you have honey supers that are not fully capped but you need to take them off to do a mite treatment for 30 days and then I want to put them back on for the fall?  Normally I put them in the freezer.  This year I'm going to put them back on through the winter to give them more room to help prevent swarming.  I tried slatted racks and reversed the two deeps but they still swarmed.  Any suggestions? Thanks

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: honey supers after/before varroa treatment
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 06:19:10 pm »
I guess a lot depends on what you are treating with, but if it is going to be for their own consumption why even take them off?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline davers

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 07:33:10 pm »
I'm treating with Apigard Robo so my plan is to keep them on during the winter to give them more space and food if necessary but if they don't use the honey up come spring, I would keep the honey for myself.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 08:06:14 pm »
Hello Davers:  consider Apiguard, thymol, will cause Bee mortality in high temperature.  I do not know the critical temperature high end, so you might want to check this out.  Good luck with the bees.

Offline davers

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 10:59:11 pm »
I do use Apigard and use half the recommended dosage(25g) since it is near 100f degrees here and had great results last year. I need to take off the honey supers for about 30 days and not sure what to do with the supers so I can possibly use the honey for myself come late spring