Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nasty ground nesting stinging insects  (Read 3963 times)

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Nasty ground nesting stinging insects
« on: July 23, 2017, 10:14:01 am »
I was picking blueberries with my wife this morning (our bushes are about 30 feet from the house) and suddenly she yelled "Gunner no! run!" I looked over and he had dug up a nest. Very unhappy stinging insects flying out all over the place.
When Gunner was a puppy my sister told him to find his inner cat. Now I blame my sister for him going crazy after mice and rodents when I take him hunting. It is kind of annoying. I think he heard them and had to investigate. In the past he never had the ground attack when he dug.
So my questions are what is this and more importantly what is the best way to eradicate them?
On a positive note, my wife who is afraid of, and doesn't like my bees said I'll take your bees over all the other bugs we have here any day. I have to agree but it was really nice to hear her say it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
Re: Nasty ground nesting stinging insects
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 10:37:31 am »
It's hard for me to tell in the picture. But it looks like a bald faced Hornet. I've never seen them nest in the ground though. But I would imagine it may happen from time to time. Regardless of what they are......if it were me, some gas dumped into the hole usually always works and that's what I'd do..... Just be mindful with the gas, and remember that those hornets can be real real nasty when they get ticked off. Ask me how I know!! 😵😬😵😬
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 04:28:00 pm »
I kind of thought that too but I didn't expect them to be in the ground. I think I am going to burn some paper tonight right above them.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 07:43:58 pm »
If you use gas, don't light it. The fumes are what kills. If burned, it will only be hot above ground and leave the nest safe. Just dump a cup of gas in the hole after dark and go back to the house.

PS. It is illegal to pour gas on the ground, so don't advertise that you did it.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 09:42:08 pm »
If you use gas, don't light it. The fumes are what kills. If burned, it will only be hot above ground and leave the nest safe. Just dump a cup of gas in the hole after dark and go back to the house.

PS. It is illegal to pour gas on the ground, so don't advertise that you did it.
It's illegal to turn left on a red arrow but that never stops me... I do wait for oncoming traffic but when nobody is coming who cares? It is also illegal to shoot geese with lead out of season but that hasn't stopped me either... I even shared the "free range all natural organic dog treets" with a state trooper's German Shorthair Pointer.
My problem with gas is I don't want to kill the blueberry bush it is under. I also found that they have a back door. Would I need to dump it in both holes?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 11:22:49 pm »
Diesel fuel is good for killing plants, but I've never known gas to harm them. It evaporates too fast. One cup in each hole shouldn't hurt any of the plants.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 08:04:37 am »
We had a lot of rain last night (Maybe the were flooded out... I can hope.) When it gets dryer I will try it.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 09:13:18 am »
Did the bees that came out of the ground look like the insect in the picture, I have seen lots of hornets but never in the ground.  My first take, the hornet is looking for a meal.  Was it hornets that came out of the ground?   Probably it was bumble bees in the ground.

b
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:05:46 pm by paus »

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 12:12:11 am »
Paus,
If they were not hornets, my bet would be Yellow Jackets. They mostly build their hives in the ground here.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 08:52:24 am »
It's hornets living in and coming out of the ground. There is a stump right next to where they are coming out of the ground. I thought it was more rotten then it is because I tried to rip it out with the bucket of my tractor. All I ended up doing was making a mess and making them mad. I did kind of stir them up a bit but that's about it. We have had a lot of rain and I thought it would drown them but that hasn't happened either. I need a flame thrower. Then I could incinerate them as they come out of the ground. Take a long stick to provoke them and then burn them as they come out.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 12:45:32 pm »
From the picture there definitely not yellow jackets...aka devil's bees!!!!! I can't stand those suckers. Being that there in a stump it may be hard to get to them. Several cans of wasp and hornet spray would be my choice. I'd make them mad and then blast them when they came out from a distance. There pretty dang mean though. And fast. Once they decide to sting ya it's all over but the crying. Haha. Good luck.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 10:11:48 pm »

Once they decide to sting ya it's all over but the crying. Haha. Good luck.

Yeah poor Gunner was a wreck.... It took him a long time to calm down.

anything