Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Stranded New Beek--SOS!  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Ledavidson

• Brood
Stranded New Beek--SOS!
« on: July 06, 2017, 10:49:54 pm »
Hi all,

My parents recently decided to bring two packages home earlier this spring--and a month later decided they were going to leave on a two month long road trip. Hence my new Instagram handle @honeyfrommyparentsbackyard...Nice, right?  :cry:

My sister and I kindly agreed to take care of their bees. Keep in mind that we had absolutely no training, no books, not even a slight idea of what we were agreeing to. I spent a 30 minute session with my dad to learn what to look for when inspecting, but really let's be honest... he didn't even know. He could barely spot a queen. My sister lives at home with them, so she's taken on the feeding and making sugar water--if I had my own hives I wouldn't be doing this based on some research...I told her to stop altogether after reading about how it can mess up the dynamics and pH of the hive...And I took on the inspections with help from my boyfriend and building new supers. Joy! So now we're only feeding when adding new frames (tonight & a few weeks ago)

These bees are BUSY. It's raining every day here in ATL, and they're brining pollen back in droves. And I have a crap load of questions.

I'm concerned about one of them (a brood and honey super since early June)--I recently sprained my ankle pretty terribly, and wasn't able to inspect one of the hives for almost 17 days. I wasn't too worried about it because I took a couple of frames out to check that eggs were being lain, and it seemed so much less busy than the other hive. We opened it up last weekend and found a bunch (20-30) of swarm cells, very few eggs that I could see and good brood pattern. I went over there tonight thinking I was going to split them, but I'm not prepared mentally or physically for that. I had made a brood and honey super, so I just added another honey super to the hive with swarm cells. I, for whatever reason, squatted on my knees and noticed a TON of bees hanging out under the hive (see photo attached). Again, it's been super rainy, muggy/humid here, so I'm hoping that's why. I'm going out of town this weekend and my sister is not capable of wrangling bees on her own so it'll have to wait to figure out until Sunday.

When ordering from Mann Lake, my dad ordered plastic foundation. I ditched those and instead left the frames as is with no wire to see what would happen--also, I want to extract a little honey from these since there's so much coming in. Am I going to open the box next week and find a mess? Should I put the plastic foundation in? I'd prefer to just keep it natural and leave out, but they're not my hives... Haha

Last question...Should we be feeding them when we add new supers, especially if there's no foundation? Sorry for the novel!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:04:57 pm by Ledavidson »

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
Re: Stranded New Beek--SOS!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 11:28:16 pm »
That's a pretty crazy story! But you must be meant to be a beekeeper - you have the right attitude - bravo for jumping in so fearlessly!

I wouldn't worry to much about the bees - they really pretty much take care of themselves. If they are bringing in that much pollen, I would guess that they have plenty of nectar coming in, so I agree with your impulse to stop feeding. Especially for the honey supers, you don't want them full of sugar syrup instead of nectar when you harvest the honey.

I don't use foundation, but if possible it's good to intersperse bare frames with drawn comb so that they don't do anything that will create difficulties later - it helps to keep them building straight and the right thickness. If you don't have drawn comb available, you may want to alternate bare frames with the plastic foundation for the same reason. You can eventually (over the next year or two) cycle the plastic out if you don't want it in there. Also might make it easier to tell your parents that you went half way with their plan and your idea!

That's a lot of swarm cells! Again, it sounds like that hive is booming, and if so, even a new package can swarm. You can try to split them, but if they are that far along it's probably too late to stop them. Given your ankle and everything else, it might be easiest to let them swarm rather than try to fight it. Others might think differently and have other suggestions... But in any case, never try to work with the bees at night! You'll be crawling with very unhappy bees! And always give them a little smoke before going into the hive for any reason.

Bees hanging out like that on the bottom is normal for hot, muggy weather. If it weren't rainy, they'd be all hanging off the front of the hive ('bearding'), an even more alarming sight the first time you see it! Good luck and keep us informed - there are lots of really experienced and friendly beeks here who will be happy to help - maybe even someone living near you...

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 11:33:24 pm »
Wow! Good luck.  Hope your parents enjoy their vacation!!!

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 09:17:04 am »
Thirty swarm cells!  So why did your parents get bees in the first place?  Sounds like the hive needs a ride on a bumpy road.  Why not take them to your place.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 11:42:40 am »
First thing, Welcome  :happy:.

If you saw capped queen cells last weekend then they have probably have already swarmed.  They may swarm more than once with that many cells.  When I see that many queen cells, I see an opportunity to make multiple splits(but you need the equipment on hand). 

My advise:
    Stop feeding.  I only feed to help them get established.  A new package should be established within a month or less.  If they are capping honey/sugar water then they don't need to be fed.
    Split if you can.  If there are still queen cells when you check on them next then why not take the opportunity to split.  Take a frame with queen cells, a couple of frames with honey/nectar and put in another box.   
    Keep the foundation in the frames.  Or at least replace it with some sort of starter strips.  If there is no guide the bees will build some crazy comb(especially in the honey supers).
    Relax.  The bees know what they are doing.  It's our job to learn what that is. :wink:
    Remember.  If you have been feeding then what you extract will be at least partially sugar water.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 05:34:02 pm »
Deciding whether or not they need to be fed is sometimes tricky.  If it falls at one extreme or the other it's easy.  If the bees are starving, feed them.  If the bees are light and winter is close, feed them.  Sometimes it is tougher.  If no nectar is coming in and they have stores, I am torn.  If I feed I may set off robbing.  If I don't I may set the colony back because they may stop rearing brood.  It's a judgment call.  If there is some flow, but it doesn't seem like they are taking off, I may feed and see how that works out.  But if there is a good flow I would not feed them.  Feeding bees constantly often leads to them swarming.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMe

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 07:31:27 am »
Welcome Ledavidson,  in many ways I envy you the challenge and thrill of this new adventure you are on.  Above all enjoy the wonder of it all.  I am assuming that ATL is Atlanta, GA.  July in north GA should not require feeding.  That being said, you mentioned that it is raining every day.  Bees must be able to fly to collect nectar.  A growing hive can consume a lot of honey/nectar in a few days.  It is a judgment call and you are the judge on hand.  Check with your local beekeepers for advice on this.  On this site we have Tillie, real name Linda, a master beekeeper who lives in ATL.  You could PM her or contact her on her website, http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com.  She is a sweet lady who enjoys helping when she can.

Cao mentioned moving some frames to establish a new hive.  Remember that in addtion to the frames he mentioned, you must also include worker bees to serve the queen cells and help establish the new hive.

Good Luck and enjoy
Calvin King
"But the noble make noble plans, and by noble deeds they stand."  Isaiah 32:8