Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pictures from BeeFest 2019  (Read 2353 times)

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
Pictures from BeeFest 2019
« on: March 19, 2019, 11:00:04 am »
I'm putting this here so y'all can see it.  I don't know if your local clubs have "bee school" or similar, but I'll tell you that this particular beekeeper can learn more in three days of hands-on mentored instruction than he can in weeks and weeks of reading and lectures. Last year was great for me to learn to take my own presence and intentions seriously, because the bees take it seriously.   This year was more practical, and I am confident that I could go into my own beeyard and raise all the queens I need to be sustainable; grafting as a method allows me to be more selective as a breeder. It took all I had to get down there, and I'm really glad I went.

Here is a google album of the pics I took, if you click a picture you can see the caption. There aren't many because I was busy doing stuff, not taking pictures.  Mods you can move this to the other thread if you want I just want to put it here as a whole-community shout-out to sawdustmkr and Mrs sawdustmkr and Michael Bush and "thank you."

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MRYib6Yh1LxpyaWU8

Here's looking to 2020~

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Pictures from BeeFest 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 02:54:08 pm »
Nice.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 06:11:48 pm »
Great pics Matt.  If only we could have got one of me dropping the cover on the ground looking for a queen and you getting covered with bees that Jim was shaking  off a frame or a box.  The look on your face was priceless.  I still don't know why you wear a veil with a hole in it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 06:44:39 pm »
Great pics Matt.  If only we could have got one of me dropping the cover on the ground looking for a queen and you getting covered with bees that Jim was shaking  off a frame or a box.  The look on your face was priceless.  I still don't know why you wear a veil with a hole in it.

Brian it was good to see you.

I don't usually shake bees on my head so the hole isn't an issue.  It could use a couple stitches tho. :) I hope you get settled soon so you can get started back up, your mead was delicious.   

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 09:06:23 pm »
Is there a thread (post) ?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 10:29:44 pm »
Thanks for sharing the pictures Matt. Good job.
I will add more as soon as I get the ones that Kent took. He took a lot.
We have already set the date for next year.
It will be March 20-21 and 22. Mark your calendars.
If anyone else has more photos, please post them here.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 09:27:27 am »
Jim, how did your splits do ?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 05:58:19 pm »
It could use a couple stitches tho.

Thanks for the complement but use tape don't try to stitch it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 10:07:34 pm »
Jim, how did your splits do ?

Altmiller Splits.
One of the problems with making splits is that it stresses out the bees and when they are stressed, they put out stress pheromones. When this happens the Small Hive Beetles know it and are attracted to this hive. If there is a dearth, the other hives will rob it out.
Per LJ, if you keep the splits on the original queen right hive with a double screen above the bottom brood box , with the Queen in it, the boxes above are protected by the queen right hive.
You can put single screens between the brood boxes above the double screen. When you do this, you want to wait 30 days. One problem is that the queen right will probably swarm in 3 weeks or less.
With the Altmiller Split you move the queen to the bottom hive, add a drawn super (foundation or foundation less will bee good) then add a double screen (window screen) then a brood box with all stages of brood, (cut slots in old comb with eggs and day old larvae), then if you have another brood box, add a single screen with a front entrance, then add your next brood box and a top entrance.   Now all three hives smell like they are queen right. After 30 days inspect each box, if they have a mated queen, split the hives into their own boxes.
The double screen stops the retinue bees from being able to pass queen pheromones up through the hive. The bees above the double screen no longer think they have a queen and make emergency queen cells and raise them. The queens have mated and returned to their own hives. All of the entrances have been on the front. It probably would not hurt to turn the middle hive opening around to the back.
This works much better than walk away splits and mating nucs when there are a lot of hives around or nearby.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 10:20:41 pm »
Here is a video that Judy and I made when we made the splits. It was very windy and sometimes it is hard to hear. Sorry about that.
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=52011.msg463859#msg463859
See reply number 7.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 02:48:56 pm »
Did splits make queens, were they laying and did y'all remove splits?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 12:36:32 am »
Most of the hives did have laying queens. Some had queen cells in them and we used them to make more splits for the 2 boxes that were queen right. Most of the hives were separated and given a top and bottom. We started with 10 hives and I believe we now have 30 hives. Some are still together.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 04:16:43 pm »
Jim, you mentioned cutting slots in comb of eggs and brood frames?  Miller method of v -cuts on frames at the bottom ?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 05:21:25 pm »
Jim, you mentioned cutting slots in comb of eggs and brood frames?  Miller method of v -cuts on frames at the bottom ?
Mickey,
No, these are cut into the comb, especially old comb, just below the center line, of the cells with eggs and 1-2 day old larvae, and pushed down. This makes it easier for the bees to float out the larvae to make the cell vertical for the queen.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 05:44:52 pm »
If I'm understanding this rite. You knife fresh eggs in comb and tilt? And if so , do you drop down to 8 frames in a 10 box or 6 in a 8 fr.?

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 07:06:30 pm »
More important question. Bee's above won't make Q's with out you cutting slots?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 07:38:46 am »
If I'm understanding this rite. You knife fresh eggs in comb and tilt? And if so , do you drop down to 8 frames in a 10 box or 6 in a 8 fr.?
The idea is to make it easier for the bees to make a queen cell on old comb. They can easily modify new wax comb to make a queen cell. Old comb has old brood cocoon and propolis. In order to make a queen cell in one that is not modified, the bees have to add enough royal jelly to float the larvae to the edge of the cell and then build a vertical cell.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 07:41:01 am »
More important question. Bee's above won't make Q's with out you cutting slots?
No, the slots just make it easier and the bees will take advantage of them if you pick the correct age larvae.
Jim
Ben Franklin

anything